Monday, March 12, 2007

Study of un-read books released...in attractive mauve slipcover!

Some quantifying British people have compiled a list of the top books people buy but never read. The list includes some non-shockers, including Salman Rushdie's Satanic Verses and James Joyce's Ulysses, which I'm not even convinced Joyce ever read. Also, apparently David Beckham wrote an autobiography, which shocks me more than the idea that no one read it.

The two most "huh?" parts of this study were one, that other people in the world besides me have trouble finishing Harry Potter books. And two, that people freely admit they buy books for decoration with no intention of ever reading them at all. Seriously? People do this? I mean, I buy books and then never read them but I always at least intend to read them. But really, just for decoration? Does that mean people just buy red books one day or blue books? Does Martin Amis making the best-seller list have more to do with whether or not the dust jacket matches the new mocha suede sofa? And if so, shouldn't Pottery Barn have a book section?

1 comment:

Mickie Poe said...

I FINALLY understand why many bookstore shoppers would ask to be directed to the "blue section."