Thursday, January 29, 2009

Nerd Man of the Month: Jim Parsons


Say, it's been a long time since we've had one of these: a genuine good old-fashioned Nerd Man of the Month! January's honoree, just barely sneaking in before the month comes to a close, is Jim Parsons, who plays the wildly popular Sheldon Cooper on the wildly popular "The Big Bang Theory." Yes, whether he likes it or not, Parsons has become something akin to the poster child of the new "nerds are cool" movement afoot. (A movement we, of course, heartily endorse.)

In addition to being the Neil Patrick Harris of "Big Bang" -- meaning he's pretty much the one we all wait to see on screen every week -- Parsons also gets bonus nerd points for having been something of a theater geek in his college days, founding his own non-profit theater company. And, according to Wikipedia, he was quite possibly voted "friendliest person" in his graduating high school class. We always give a big nerd flag wave to any and all skinny dudes voted "friendliest" anything. Plus, seriously, look at that picture. Who wouldn't want to pinch those cheeks and pretend you know about quantum physics with this guy?

Most importantly, he just seems like a sweet, shy, charming guy -- the kind of fellow we'd all watch from the back row of bio class and secretly pine for. Or perhaps not so secretly. If you need more convincing, just check him out here with Craig Ferguson. He even cites "Lost," bless him.



For representin' our geeky brethren with honor and makin' us proud, The Park Bench is pleased to name Jim Parsons as its Nerd Man of the Month.

10 comments:

Trey said...

That clip...that was awesome. I may just need more coffee, but I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

Thanks for sharing it!

Ms. Meg said...

I like that guy and he is adorable, but man. That show. Not very good. I hoped it would be so much better than it is, especially since it stars Johnny Galecki and he was very important to me as a young teenager.

Unknown said...

Love him and love the show. He is just too adorable and the episode in which Penny gave him a signed napkin from Leonard Nimoy was GOLD! Great choice for Nerd Man of the month!

Black Eyed Gurl said...

I have such a crush on him. Johnny Galecki & he are the only reasons I watch Big Bang (and the occasional hilarious Sara Gilbert guest spots). I loved the episode where he introduced Penny to online gaming.

Good choice this month!

(Also I preemptively nominate Johnny Galecki as a future Nerd Man I mean he wrote a comic book on Roseanne with Darlene & is constantly a geek, dweeb or nerd on TV and in movies! Plus: adorable curls)

Chewbob said...

Oh my god, ostriches are SO. FUCKING. SCARY.

Wanda said...

I was so glad you chose Jim Parsons. He is great on the Big Bang Theory and consistantly cracks me up.

The Modern Gal said...

Ohhhhhhh, I could make out with him right now. I love the way he talks.

Have you ever had Craig Ferguson as NMotM? He seems to have it in him.

Lisa said...

Sheldon is awesome - he's my favourite! What a great show, it's so funny.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic pick, love the video, and love the show. My friends and I have a running contest to predict Sheldon's superhero Tshirt of the week or Howard's belt buckle.

super jim parsons said...

Perfect choice for "Nerd Man of the Month!" Rock paper scissors lizard spock :)