Friday, March 28, 2008

Tabbies for hire

An important news flash for kitty-philes everywhere. From Park Bench contributor Meghann Williams:


I'’m generally known as none-too-fond of animals or nature. I quite like fish as pets, until their tanks get stinky. My parents have some cats and 2 out of 3 of them are nice - I just hate the smell of cat food and litter boxes. My boyfriend’'s brother has a fantastic dog named Charlie (for Stephen Colbert'’s fictional TV wife Charlene --nerd points!) and I love to visit with her. Overall, I like pets that are not mine, whom I do not have to clean up after nor ever have to feed medicine. There is literally nothing worse that trying to get a cat to swallow a pill.

But underneath my gruff exterior, I truly love to cuddle with doggies and kitties. (Fish, in this instance, won’'t work out too well.) Much like Elmyra, I get within 20 feet of a kitten or puppy, and I just want to hug them and kiss them and love them forever. But then reason kicks in and I envision myself ten years down the line with a surly cat running my house, always explaining to friends why I have to leave the bar early to go walk the dog before he pees on the floor. I just want to pet some cute kitties without having to clean up their poop or feed them gross wet food. Won'’t someone hear my plea?

Of course Japan will hear my plea! You know, Japan: makers of the Capsule Hotel. Japan, being a brilliant country, has introduced cat cafes. For just $8 an hour, you can play with cats that aren't your own! Places like Calico, the original cat café, sell cushions with cute cat designs on them, cat stickers, jewelry (no doubt with cats on them), and food and drink. You can hang out on the floor and play with the cats, or attempt my all time favorite thing -- sit quietly with a cup of tea and a kitty on your lap. Seriously, click the link above. You will be hit with an onslaught of cute, as well as an overwhelming jealousy of the people of Tokyo.


Unless you hate cats. In that case, consider Calico and its ilk your nemesis.

No comments: