Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Wednesday Odds and Ends

+ The big Battlestar day draws near, which means all sorts of good stuff is happening around the internets to celebrate the occasion. This Friday, in fact, check out Galactica Sitrep where Messrs. John Hodgman and Rob Kutner, staff writer for 'The Daily Show,' will be engaging in a brainy discussion of everyone's favorite Cylon-saturated space opera.

+ Has anyone else been watching the new season of '24'? Is it just me or does Kiefer Sutherland now sound exactly like Andy Samberg's impression of Mark Wahlberg? Weird.

+ Also, oops, I totally forgot the Golden Globes were on this past Sunday -- and instead watched "Tess of the D'Urbevilles" on "Masterpiece Theater," which was, wow, kind of a downer story. Anyway, I know I'm three days late in saying this but Tina Fey's acceptance speech (at the Golden Globes, not on "Masterpiece Theater") was awesome. Here it is for anyone else who missed the glitz and glamor of the Foreign Press on Sunday:



+ And finally, have you heard the PETA wants to rename fish "sea kittens" so that people will be less likely to go fishing and eat them? Okay, first let me just say, I think PETA does some very fine work and the world is a better place because of them and I can kind of understand the point they're making. Second, though, what the hell? It's statements like these that make them sound crazy...and also make me laugh in a sick, ashamed way, so yay:

"Most parents would never dream of spending a weekend torturing kittens for fun with their families, but hooking a sea kitten through the mouth and dragging her through the water is the same as hooking a kitten through the mouth and dragging her behind your car," Byrne says.

Again, I love animals and cheer loudly whenever another panda mauls a drunk guy at the zoo, but this seems like a rather skewed PR scheme. Good for them if it works, though, I guess. I can't wait to break out my set of cards tonight and play Go Sea Kitten....

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Sea Kittens??? REALLY? Dear Lord, what will they think of next...

You know, I never thought about it but you are right about Kiefer this season! Still love the show though...

I heart Tina Fey!

Liz said...

I keep expecting Jack Bauer to say, "Say hello to your mom for me." It adds to the suspense of the show. :)

crone51 said...

Tina Fey is a goddess.

Ok, fangirls.....I gotta warn you.. there are final cylon spoilers out there. I am choosing ( so far anyhow) to stay away from them but it is so very very hard.....HELP!!!!!

The Modern Gal said...

Renaming them kittens doesn't make me any more sympathetic to them. I mean, kitties are cute and all, but they turn into full-blown cats. (Sorry if anyone is a cat lover).

Also, I heart Tina Fey.

crone51 said...

Yeah, Modern Gal. In order for them to be effective to me they would have to call them Lake Puppies or something as I actually like dogs ( cat's not so much, even though we have three).

Unknown said...

"Sea kittens" makes me think of the canned tuna brand Chicken of the Sea.

Renaming fish wouldn't make us more or less sympathetic to them. Besides, PETA would probably hate us for keeping fish as pets.

agent57 said...

Yeah, um, the name isn't really going to make much of a difference to me. Maybe if they genetically altered fish to look exactly like kittens... but that would kind of be animal cruelty in itself.

I'm not even going to pretend that I've ever been sympathetic to Peta. I mean, animal cruelty = bad, right? But every time someone posts something about Peta on Ohnotheydidnt, (shut up I love that community) the majority of the replies are from vegetarians and animal rights supporters saying how much Peta regularly messes up.

This is the internet, so I can't say for sure what the truth is, but I just really don't like them. Anyway, whatever. ...*eats some meat and goes off to look for other ways to be offensive*

agent57 said...

Also, they're just crazy if they think people are actually gonna use the phrase "sea kittens" when "fish" is six letters shorter and centuries older. They are practically parodying themselves at this point.

Anonymous said...

LOL and shaking my head at "sea kittens." I wonder if the folks from PETA have ever watched a cat (as I have watched mine) torment and kill some tiny rodent. Kitties are far from benign, helpless bundles of fuzz. By PETA standards, they are vicious monsters! : )

Anonymous said...

Is PETA including salmon and lobster among the sea kitten classification? I'm afraid that I like seakittens, especially with a nice lemon sauce or good melted butter. Sigh. Christmas Eve lobster...er, lobkittens...yum! Sorry kitties.