Wednesday, June 04, 2008

News of the Day -- Wednesday, June 4

Back from a whirlwind trip to New York that included a wonderful wedding, kangaroos in Prospect Park (okay, the Prospect Park Zoo), an actual argument about "Transformers" and a multi-hour traffic jam convoluted enough to make Rube Goldberg cry. But enough about me. On with the news...

+ There's all sorts of wonkiness going on with BBC's Torchwood and its schedule for the coming year. Five episodes shown over five days. Huh. Color me confused....

+ Jenna Fischer was interviewed on NPR's "Fresh Air" yesterday. If you're wondering if you should spend 37 minutes listening or not, just know that "Fischer talks to Fresh Air about her abortive career as a member of an all-girl singing group (which turned out to be a front for a high-priced call-girl ring), and about her very first screen role — in a sex-education film made especially for just-released mental-health patients."

+ Two reviewers at Ain't It Cool have given some enthusiastic thumbs up to Pixar's upcoming, "Wall-E," a film my cranky curmudgeon side is having trouble getting ramped up for. I love robots as much as the next girl, but I feel like something's missing. Probably dinosaurs or monkeys. I'm just demanding that way.

8 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

My eight year old niece who knows all things movie (pointed out major plot holes in Nim's Island) isn't that excited about Wall-E either. I'm siding with you two.

Nightfall said...

Re: Wall-E. It's because Johnny Five has already taken residence in your heart. He can not be replaced.

On the up(down?)side, there is a Short Circuit remake in the works.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0929281/

So after He-Man, Johnny Quest, GI Joe, TF, Voltron, Tron, Conan, another Knight Rider attempt, The Last Starfighter, Evil dead (sacrilige!), Meatballs, Porky's, Red Sonja, Footloose, The Thing, Fame, and another Dune thing is there anything left of childhood to smash? (Yes, all those projects are in the works.)

I know! Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Bright, Thundercats, Silverhawks, M.A.S.K., and the Care Bears! Is Punky Brewster doing anything these days? How about Webster? Mr. Belvedere? Jem and the Holograms?

Belle Ecrivaine said...

There would be world peace if every movie had either monkeys or dinosaurs in them.

Jenny Grace said...

So in other words, if I'm wondering if I should listen to the Jenna Fischer interview, the answer is a resounding YES!

Liz said...

Nightfall, that may well be the saddest list of movie projects I've ever heard. My God, I already lived the '80s once. Why do I have to do it again???

Kimberly @ kimberussell.com said...

From the trailer, the Wall-E plot looks like it's just all over the place. I'm very meh on it.

Will have to grab the NPR interview...sounds fun!

jendoop said...

NUMBER FIVE ALIVE!

agent57 said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one not really excited by Wall-E. A bunch of other people are all excited, and my reaction is just kind of "um?" I think it might have to do with the teaser being nothing but "from the makers of all these movies you liked comes... another movie!" And the trailer doesn't look nearly as interesting as the idea they pitched, which i wasn't really really into to begin with.

Yes, also the Johnny Five thing.