Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Magical Power of My Boobs

I would just like to apologize in advance to my husband, my parents, my in-laws and yes, my illiterate cat, for the following blog entry.

I recently discovered that my boobs, aside from providing buoyancy in the event of a shipwreck and serving as the perfect holding place for a pint of Ben and Jerry’s during "Battlestar" marathons, serve a number of other equally advantageous purposes. And by “equally advantageous purposes,” I of course mean that they’re magical.

I’m not saying they're magical in the sense that they could fly or engage in combat with Gandalf – although how sweet would that be! No, they’re magical in the sense that they can make things happen with no help from me other than simply wearing a low-cut blouse and occasionally leaning over.

Yes, I have discovered – way too late in life, I might add – that complete strangers will do things for me at the drop of a boob. Do I not feel like opening doors on Thursdays? Well, my boobs can take care of that. Choose the right top and guys at the bank are holding doors open for me from 10 yards away. Can’t reach the paper towels at Target? A slight lean to the left, an “I just don’t know what to do” look on my face and bam! There’s a 12-pack of Brawnys in my shopping cart. Have I gone to a meeting unprepared and unable to answer questions with any semblance of rational thought and I’m desperate for no one to notice? Take a break, third button down on my shirt, you’re services will no longer be needed this afternoon!

The sad thing is that if I were not a nerdy woman, I would have been taking advantage of this power for the last 20 years or so instead of just realizing it – oh, I don’t know – last month!

Just think if I’d known about this power in 2000. The girls and I would have stood in front of every voting booth in America, confusing the minds of millions of male voters and swaying the election. President Al Gore would have given my cleavage the Medal of Freedom...and totally checked me out at the presentation. Children (well, Democratic children) would have sung songs about my rack. Actual racks – you know, for drying dishes and such – would have been renamed The Liz-es in my honor. Let’s not even think about how Mount Rushmore would have changed! (Hint: there would have been boobs.)

I’m not going to get crazy with this new-found superpower. Like Superman and Batman, I’m going to conceal the true nature of my boobs’ powers until such times as they are absolutely needed...like, say, at a rodeo when I don’t want to buy my own caramel corn.

Okay, I’m kidding about the rodeo. In all seriousness, though, it’s like discovering that I have the ability to pull a tablecloth out from under a place setting without cracking the china. It’s a cool parlor trick but I’m not going to be doing it all day long. At heart, I’m a repressed Catholic nerd who dresses for comfort not style. Thirty-some years into being me, I don’t see that changing too much.

So my magical boobs and I will bide our time, waiting until the exact moment when they’re needed most. Yes, if I look up into the night sky and see a silhouette of my awesome rack above Gotham City, I will answer the call.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

You are simply AWESOME! Thanks for this post. :)

Camille said...

Hilarious!

Liz said...

Glad you guys liked it! :) I think the word "boobs" is just intrinsically funny.

Anonymous said...

my illiterate cats are blushing and shaking their heads, but *i* think you're darned funny :-)

Oh, that girl again... said...

Just know that with great power comes great responsibility.

Anonymous said...

OMG! I have recently discovered this superpower my own self. (and I *think* I'm older than you-- Yay! late bloomers!) I put on just a little weight--all over--and suddenly I'm Ms. Superboobie!

I find my powers are enhanced by using a Really Good Bra. The girls and I are ready when the world needs us.

Anonymous said...

I lost 40 pounds... I miss mine :(

Anonymous said...

I love my magical boobs...
they come in handy all the time! :)

If only my d&d character had my boobs of magic, I would be unstoppable!

Anonymous said...

I once got out of a tight spot in college while writing an engineering lab report by going to the TA with a low cut shirt on.

Dirty pool, I know, but I told myself I was using my rack for good (and not evil...)

jendoop said...

You know the best time to use these magical gifts?
Auto Mechanic, Hardware store, and any kind of uncomfortable financial meeting. All situations where a perfectly capable woman might be swindled if not for men all too willing to help with the influnce of a little magic.

Jenny Grace said...

Ah yes I discovered the magical powers of my boobs after I had my son, and I felt woefully fat, but realized that if I was showing enough boob, no one would look at the rest of me, rendering myself invincible!

A said...

I am just learning to use the power of my boobs! Just recently I learned the power of Tight Pants. The boys at the movie rental store are so much nicer to me in the hot pants. So are the hipster barristas at our local coffeehouse. Bring out the booty!

Anonymous said...

Right on! Although I have to say that my internal, prudish feminist is always a little outraged when I use my girls to my advantage, but my butt-kicking feminist tells me to use what I got. I just can't get offended when the girls get stares when I've got them on display.

jenny said...

My biggest enemies on a Saturday night at a bar are skanky guys and a female bartender. I love the fact that women are behind the bar but flashing the cleavage to get served quickly doesn't really work on them.

GoKnight said...

The really nice thing is that with the aforementioned "really good bra" (I call it my super-wonder-miracle bra), even little tiny boobs like mine can be magic!

It really is amazing, isn't it?