Friday, June 01, 2007

Saturday Cinema: The Thin Man

If you're looking for something witty and romantic to throw into the DVD player this weekend, might I recommend The Thin Man? This 1934 classic has it all -- you've got William Powell and Myrna Loy as Nick and Nora Charles, arguably the greatest romantic duo in all of cinema history. You've got a clever murder mystery filled with oddball suspects. You've got unbeatable dialogue. You've even got a cute little dog, Asta. This movie had a profound impact on me as a young girl. I watched it so many times I not only memorized it, I also became convinced that my future would be filled with silky evening gowns, men in tuxedos, delicious quips tossed casually over my shoulder, and lots and lots of highballs and cocktails. Trust me, you will fall in love with these characters...and likely develop a huge, huge craving for a Cosmopolitan.

If you'd like a little preview, check out this a highlight reel.

No comments: