Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Wednesday Odds & Ends: New York Public Library, Clash of the Titans, Carrie Fisher and hairless bears

My apologies for the lack of blogging the last couple of days. I was not, as perhaps hoped by all of us, taken up by the TARDIS but instead, just snowed under with a work project. I'm back though and here's some newsy tidbits. Oh, and also, a picture of a naked bear but we'll save that for the end.

+ The New York Times ran a wonderful article yesterday highlighting some odd and unusual facts about the New York Public Library, which is apparently the third largest library in the world behind the Library of Congress and the British Library. Thank you, Maggie, for the link!

+ Check out these adorable "Doctor Who" amigurumi crochet dolls. The glasses are perfect! Thank you to Ciri, who's not a Doctor Who fan but knows a lot of us are, for the link!

+ There's a trailer out for the remake of "Clash of the Titans," which sort of looks like "300" but with 100 percent more Medusa. Basically, it looks cheesy but I'll go see anything based even remotely on classical mythology. I'm that easy!



+ I enjoyed this A.V. Club list of "16 Ways to Survive a Stephen King Story." My favorite suggestion? Pack a lunch.

+ Here's a nifty little interview with Elizabeth Mitchell about her roles in "V" and "Lost." Also, if you can figure out why there's a picture of "Mork and Mindy" at the top of the page for no apparent reason, please let me know.

+ Have you visited the official Carrie Fisher store? Yes, apparently she has one! And it's got one particular awesome item that looks like this:

+ Ah, there's reasons I love the French and this is one of them: Renault's Zoe Z.E. electric car, set to debut in 2012, which was designed with the help of the Biotherm cosmetics company. The car serves as a sort of spa on wheels with special air filtration systems and oil release systems to help improve and protect your skin.

+ And finally, for no other reason than the fact that it freaks me the hell out, here's a picture of a furless German bear that has apparently developed some sort of genetic skin condition. Does it or does it not look like a person wearing a bear suit or something out of "An American Werewolf in London?" Weird. Very weird.

9 comments:

Wither said...

I can't believe the tagline for the Clash of the Titans remake is "Titans. Will. Clash."

Actually, maybe I can!

Liz said...

Someone got paid a LOT of money for that tag line, too. I applaud them for their audacity! :)

Sondahl said...

Ahh, but will Perseus be from Paisley too? (God Bless Gerard Butler, the Scottish Spartan)

Soph-Serve said...

i figured it out! it's a slideshow about t.v. shows about aliens, to go along with elizabeth mitchell's interview about V! i win! lol.

Cassandra said...

Aw, whaaaat? They can't remake Clash of the Titans! Part of the greatness of that movie is the cheese-factor. -grumble-

Liz said...

Well done, M.K.! That thing had me completely stumped. It would be nice if they'd put some sort of headline on it...

Pomme said...

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/11/dollhouse-canceled.html

Did you know Fox canceled Dollhouse? D: They're going to continue airing the rest of the second season, but that's it.

agent57 said...

At first I thought that was a list about how to survive reading a Stephen King story. I was gonna say "Hey, that's a bit harsh, I hear his early work is pretty good."

I've actually only read 'Salem's Lot, but I liked it a lot. I should probably try some more of his stuff.

Amey said...

Yup, that looks a lot more like a werewolf than any kind of bear. Or probably something out of the Titans movie (hehe, I just connected two items in the post)

The titans movie also looks a lot like LoTR, right (specifically, the mountaintop scenes)? Then again, now most movies look like Return...