Friday, December 11, 2009

Friday Odds & Ends: Natalie Portman & zombies, Doctor Who clip, LEGOs and Trek

+ Well, I'd call this a perfect bit of casting: Natalie Portman will star in the film version of "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies." If she survived "The Phantom Menace," she can survive anything.

+ There's a very cute new preview clip out today from the upcoming Doctor Who "End of Time" two-parter, the one I'll be watching while curled in the fetal position weeping bitterly. Anyway, I'll just post the link here since one of the guest cast members is visible in the still frame of the video, and I don't want to get cited for spoilers.

+ Check out this preview of the new LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1 through 4 game. I wish my LEGOs could have done all this cool stuff when I was a kid. Thanks, Emily, for the link!



+ Have you ever wanted to Tweet in Klingon? Of course you have. And now you can, with this handy Klingon Tweet converter. If you want to confuse your friends today, hands down this is the best way. Thanks to Megan for the tip!

+ There's a new film project out soon directed by "Buffy" alumni Amber Benson and Adam Busch, and starring fellow "Buffy" alumnus Jonathan Woodward and former "Freaks and Geeks" cast member Samm Levine. It's called "Drones" and here's a trailer.

+ I want this menorah. Way to hand-craft some nerdy holiday cheer!

8 comments:

Rachel said...

We'll ALL be in the fetal position. At least you won't weep alone!

Liz said...

I'm predicting a huge spike in Kleenex sales that week.

Rachel said...

Absolutely. I think we will all be sobbing and still drooling over Tennant at the same time (not that this is unusual with Who)...and that translates to a lot of tissues. Kleenex should advertise during the broadcast. It would be smart.

Anonymous said...

I love Pride and Prejudice and I like zombie movies, but I really didn't like the book Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, so I can't get excited about the movie.

(On the plus side, now that it has Natalie Portman AND zombies, it's a version of P&P that I can almost definitely get my husband to see with me.)

DameRuth said...

Agree about the need for tissues while watching "The End of Time." You just know Uncle Rusty's gonna rip out our fangirl hearts and hand 'em to us. OTOH, at least it looks like there will be a few lulz all the same.

Louise said...

I was ALREADY crying at the end of 'Waters of Mars'...there will definitely be bitter weeping involved in watching the end of 10!

Anonymous said...

First Monk, now the Doctor...what a gut-wrenching December. Thank goodness I have my Evening with John Barrowman DVD to keep me company.

Anonymous said...

1. God, it's going to be a bleak, depressing holiday season this year, and I'm not just talking about the usual horrid New England winter weather. My God, we're losing Ten!!!!! Cue the weeping, wailing, gnashing of teeth and tearing out of hair. (And I say this as someone who is 1. psyched about the return of John Simm, Catherine Tate, and Bernard Cribbens, 2. looking forward to the end of RTD's reign, and 3. also very much looking forward to Matt Smith as the Doctor).

2. Natalie Portman starring in the film version of P&P&Z is too good to be true. That was one of the funniest damn books I've ever read. Jane Austen usually puts me to sleep, but the modern horror update made me laugh so hard people were staring at me on the train.

3. The Star Trek menorah just rocks.

Happy holidays, everyone!