Monday, December 14, 2009

Monday Odds & Ends: NPH, Lost, history of lights, John Noble and science writing

+ As I wrestle with decorating my currently naked Christmas tree, I was fascinated with this article on Gizmodo about the history of Christmas lights. Let's just say I'm glad I live in an age where I don't have to stand by with buckets of sand when lighting the festive tree candles.

+ Speaking of hot things, Neil Patrick Harris will get to show off his musical skills again in the 100th episode of "How I Met Your Mother," when he and the rest of the cast perform an ode to suits.

+ Here are the first publicity photos released for the upcoming season of "Lost." Sure, they look pretty much like a series of expensive GAP ads, but it's always nice to see Ben and his creepy stare. Spoiler alert: don't look at these if you don't want to know who may or may not be returning to the series.

+ AFI has announced their list of the top ten movies and TV shows of 2009. "Big Bang Theory" and "True Blood" made the cut as did "Coraline" and "Up."

+ I agree one hundred percent with this essay on why John Noble should win an Emmy for "Fringe." He's absolutely brilliant in that series.

+ Geek Dad over at Wired has a nifty review on a new compendium on modern science writing, edited by Richard Dawkins. I'll definitely be putting this on my to-read list.

+ And, based on some requests, I've added a few new products to The Park Bench store over at Cafe Press. Get 'em while they're hot!

4 comments:

Ms. Meg said...

Got my sister a tote bag for Christmas!

Also, when oh when will NPH be on Glee!?

Liz said...

Ooh, I like the tote bag. I'm going to be snagging one of those myself. I hope your sister likes it! And thank you much for shopping!

I think the world might explode if NPH ended up on Glee -- too much awesome in one place.

The Modern Gal said...

I have been counting down the days to the 100th HIMYM episode. I'm pretty sure my head is going to explode.

Jenny Williams said...

Thanks for linking to my Modern Science Writing article. The book really rocks, but I have to admit that some of it is over my head. =)