Thursday, July 09, 2009

Thursday Odds & Ends: "30 Rock," "Day One," witches and starfish

Did you notice how I gave this week two Tuesdays and just dropped Wednesday completely with the Odds & Ends stuff? Pretty impressive, huh? I've figured out the calendar again, so happy Friday everyone! Wait, is that right?

+ Comedy Central has picked up the rerun rights to "30 Rock," starting in Fall 2011. I look forward to being caught in an infinite Liz Lemon rerun loop. To further celebrate, check out this interview with Scott Adsit, aka Pete Hornberger of "30 Rock" legend and fame.

+ I hadn't heard about NBC's new series, "Day One," until I stumbled on this promo for it. The show is about an apocalyptic event told from the point of view of residents of a southern California condo complex...which immediately makes me think "Melrose Place" on the day the Earth stops producing hair products. The promo kind of makes me think that too; check out earnest guy at 1:15 in the clip. Kinda hilarious:



+ ABC is doing a new series called "Eastwick" based on John Updike novel, The Witches of Eastwick. I've never liked John Updike's work so I'm okay if the network wreaks havoc with this particular piece of literature. I'll chalk it up to karmic payback for the mysogyny of four Rabbit novels.

+ io9 has an interesting essay on whether or not Torchwood is finally becoming better than Doctor Who. I've been hearing great things about the "Children of Earth" series running in the UK right now so may the quality tide finally has turned.

+ Did you know you can pick up the entire "Freaks and Geeks" DVD box set for an insanely cheap price right now at Amazon? It's true!

+ And finally, a gorgeous picture. Shot by a South Carolina photographer named Brandon Pendred, it's the winner of the natural world category for the annual Smithsonian Magazine photo contest. It makes me think of the first moment when our primordial ancestors picked up their tentacles heads and wondered what was up ahead.

There's a nice article on the photographer and what prompted the photo here.

10 comments:

Lisa said...

The only redeeming thing about Eastwick is that Paul Gross is playing the devil!

http://www.vancouversun.com/Entertainment/Canadian+Paul+Gross+play+Satan+Eastwick/1682936/story.html

e.marie said...

Definitely looking forward to Torchwood:CoE...releasing on DVD on the 28th!

Sareberry said...

Two things re: Day One.

1.What a relief the cell phone towers survived!
2. Your analogy, while making me laugh, is proven faulty. Did you see those people's hair? Maybe they should re-title the show "Lookin' Good for Armageddon"

Liz said...

Sareberry, I would totally watch a show called "Lookin' Good for Armageddon." In fact, I would buy the box set.

e.marie, I didn't know that about the DVD release. Thanks for sharing the date!

Lisa, I couldn't get the link to work but I took a gander at Mr. Gross over on IMDB and will agree, he'll definitely be the bright spot!

Sareberry said...

I would totally hit you back with a pithy response about how I'll start working on a script, but I'm in the middle of day two. Can't talk now.

crone51 said...

" togetha' we're gonna save this world"

I love it. And yeah, great hair.

Bill said...

OK, love this blog, but I don't think "the mysogyny of [the] four Rabbit novels" is fair at all. There is mysogyny in the Rabbit novels, sure, but to suggest that Updike himself was mysogynistic in writing them is to assume protagonist = hero, and that was almost never the case in Updike's work. The women in those novels were almost uniformly stronger, smarter, and better people than Harry Angstrom was. Angstrom's mysogynistic views were portrayed, but not by any means endorsed.

That said, other than the first and maybe the last, I don't think the Rabbit novels were among Updike's best work. Incredible writer, though. I can understand people being uncomfortable with some of his themes, but not with denying that he was brilliant at what he did. Gertrude and Claudius and the short story "A&P" are among the best things I've ever read.

JMVHO. I wish we didn't have to wait two whole years for the 30 Rock reruns...

Liz said...

Hey Bill, I agree with you totally about the quality of Updike's work. I guess that's why I've always had a struggle with him. I think his prose is almost always flawless and his characterizations uniformly three-dimensional and real but I always had a difficult time actually enjoying what I was reading. You're right, I shouldn't label him as a mysogynist. Maybe a better way to explain my feelings is to say I'm uncomfortable with the what I always felt was a slight strain of misanthropy running through his work. I never got the feeling he liked his characters too much, and so I never really could either. It limited my enjoyment, I think. Keep in mind, though, that my assessment is very limited. Of his novels, I only read the four Rabbit books.

I love his short stories, though. They're true works of art. In truth, I've always felt guilty about not liking Updike more -- like I said, I think he was an incomparable artist and one of the true literary geniuses of our era -- but I think it's just one of those personal preference things. For some reason, he always rubbed me the wrong way.

Hey, we should have more literary debates on this site. They're fun! :)

Adam said...

Thanks for the note about Freaks and Geeks! I've been wanting it for a while but kept balking at the price. I feel a real kinship to Sam, considering I've had that same Star Wars pillow case my entire life.

Hojo said...

Something about the day one looks familiar...Cloverfield anyone? *gag*