Thursday, July 16, 2009

Thursday Odds & Ends: Radcliffe, Iron Man 2, Sense and Sensibility...sorta

+ More "Harry Potter" goodness: TIME Magazine has 10 Questions for Daniel Radcliffe and don't forget, tonight on ABC at 8 p.m., there's a documentary on a year in the life of J.K. Rowling. And IGN has compiled their list of the Top 25 Harry Potter Characters.

+ Topless Robot has some spoilery but cool pics of Gwyneth Paltrow and Scarlett Johannson in "Iron Man 2." I really hope this movie lives up to my (very) high expectations of it.

+ This was making the rounds on Twitter yesterday but if you haven't seen it, hold onto your sailor hats. First there was "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" and now there's -- perhaps inevitably -- "Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters." Jane Austen must be spinning like a carnival ride in her grave right now...

+ The trailer for Drew Barrymore's upcoming roller derby flick, "Whip It" is out now. I kinda want to see this. Anyone else?

+ And finally, I was thrilled to be a guest on this week's "Wasted Words" podcast, where the entire panel drinks heavily and then talks about a topic -- in this case, how a man named Shek broke his arm and received better care at his local bar than at the hospital. We're pretty much at the forefront of the national health care discussion on this one, like The McLaughlin Group but with LESS drinking.

5 comments:

Laurie said...

Of COURSE I want to see Whip It! I've not even seen the trailer yet, but if haven't already discovered your local derby team, know now that they are an excellent source of strong, nerdy women! I mean, just check out the names, we thrill in puns! I am AccostHer Wilde, personally.

Cara King said...

Sea monsters would work much better with either Persuasion or Mansfield Park than with Sense and Sensibility! Both P and MP have several characters in the navy, and in MP a long sea voyage is a plot point… I fear those folks are more interested in an alliterative title than a witty book!

Cara (incurable Austen geek and proud of it)

Liz said...

Laurie, I love your roller derby name. That's brilliant. I actually really do like roller derby -- that's the main reason I want to see that movie plus it was filmed in Detroit and Ann Arbor so way to help my state's economy! I think those are two good reasons to see a movie. :)

Cara King, good point on the navy tie-in. These mash-up writers aren't putting in the research time they should be!

agent57 said...

I only got a brief chance to glance through P&P&Z, but was disappointed with the art... it was definitely more Victorian than Regency. I'm saddened by the wasted potential.

flyabuv said...

I can't wait to see Whip It, it is actually based off a book called Derby Girl by Shauna Cross. It is a fun read. Check it out