Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Tuesday Odds & Ends: Nimoy, romance and low-tech computers

+ A fine compilation if ever there was one: The 10 Awesomest Things Leonard Nimoy Has Done That Have Nothing To Do With Star Trek. You'll be pleased to see that "In Search Of" makes the cut.

+ An intriguing article on how scholarly authors have empowered the romance genre...which then goes on to mention Helen Fielding and "Bridget Jones," which confuses me a bit but okay.

+ I love this gallery of "Low-Tech Computers from Pre-History to Today" over at Wired. The object below, for example, is called the Antikythera Mechanism, was made in 150 BC and is described as "a dictionary-size assemblage of 37 interlocking dials" used to "predict movements of heavenly bodies and the dates and locations of upcoming Olympic games."


+ Remember last month when Xbox Live's "1 vs. 100" game stole my soul? Well, it's back this weekend and now they're finally giving away prizes including Microsoft points and Xbox Live titles. I predict I will be even more pale and incoherent than usual when Monday rolls around.

+ And finally, Sci-Fi Wire has a great behind the scenes look at the upcoming "Zombieland" flick. And don't forget, today's the day the Sci-Fi Channel grows up, moves out of the house and changes its name to the more sophisticated "SyFy" -- remember to take the time to spell the name out to friends whenever you mention what channel you're watching "Mansquito" on so they don't get confused.

3 comments:

Michele said...

An intriguing article on how scholarly authors have empowered the romance genre...which then goes on to mention Helen Fielding and "Bridget Jones," which confuses me a bit but okay.

Interesting article. As for the Fielding/Bridget Jones mention - it was a bloke. What's he know?! [\tongue in cheek]

Anonymous said...

I'd never seen the music video for the ballad of bilbo baggins before. I can't stop laughing. Oh my gosh. I can't tell you how happy I am right now.

Liz said...

Good point, Michele! :)

Whatwith, I loved that too. Shatner and Nimoy have given us a lot to (make fun of) and be thankful for musically, haven't they?