Sunday, July 27, 2008

Quick notes...

First, I'm going to be away from my computer for a while this week but I'm leaving you in the capable hands of some guest bloggers who are stellar. Enjoy!!

Second, I saw The X-Files movie on Friday and here are some quick thoughts:

What I liked - everything Mulder and Scully. All of those scenes were golden, like watching the show again. Duchovny and Anderson were terrific and they did a great job of portraying Mulder and Scully as they would be six years after the series ended. I loved them. I also liked Billy Connolly, who really has never, ever been bad in anything. Not even "Head of the Class." Oh and Callum Keith Rennie was way cool, too, except in my head, he was still Leoben the Naughty Cylon and I had issues with that but that's just me. Oh and Elosha from BSG was in it, too. Hello Vancouver casting agents!

What I liked a lot less - pretty much everything else. Oh man, Chris Carter, what the hell? The main storyline just blew. The pacing was off, the suspense was absent. Even the chase scene had me checking my watch and wondering when Mulder and Scully would be back on screen again. How can you mess up a chase scene? And the religious overtones. There were characters named Christman and Christian. Just give me a bludgeon at the door, Chris, and don't even bother with character names like that. Jeez.

Basically, if you go into this movie with lowered expectations, you'll be fine. I'd still see it again just because I love my two imaginary FBI friends so much. But beyond that, it was pretty much a grade C thriller.

FYI - watch for Chris Carter pulling a Hitchcock like cameo about 2/3 of the way into the movie. Also, if you haven't already heard, stay through the end of the credits for some bonus footage that's kind of cheesy but still fun to watch.

6 comments:

Jodie said...

I'd call it a B thriller, but I have low expectations. I saw it at a midnight showing, and they brought the lights totally up as soon as the credits started, so I left. I totally missed the thing in the credits, though I now know what it was. I'm thinking I'll see it again- I'm just glad to see something x-files after so long!

Jenn S. said...

Do I get to write some meta for ParkBench on how much I love this movie and why? I've seen it twice so far.

lilacsigil said...

ILU Skinner! Totally competent, totally badass, total win!

Liz said...

Jenn, absolutely! A differing opinion is totally welcome. If you can make me feel about the movie, I will totally be indebted to you. Maybe my expectations were too high even though I told myself i was trying to keep them low. Like I said, i loved each and every inch of the story relating to Mulder and Scully. I just felt like the mystery part was completely weak. Definitely let me know what you think though!

-- Liz

janiejane said...

My favorite part was when Skinner showed up. Loved the Mulder/Scully stuff; the plot was just okay.

Anonymous said...

ahhhh...Callum Keith Rennie. Love him! I still see him as Ray Kowalski from Due South. sigh.
Was anyone else expecting Xzibit to pimp Scully's car at the end? I know I was ;)