Monday, September 21, 2009

Monday Odds & Ends: Dr. Horrible, the Emmys, glaciers, Fringe and Halo

+ First off, there is nothing more important this morning than getting to see the awesome "Dr. Horrible" bit from last night's Emmy Awards again. So here it is...



I love Nathan waving at the flashing battery.

+ As for the rest of the Emmy Awards show, well, I didn't see all of it but I was mightily pleased that Kristin Chenoweth won for "Pushing Daisies" and Michael Emerson won for "Lost." I'm still puzzled over Jon Cryer winning an award for "Two and a Half Men." I assume that was some sort of mistake and it will be rectified with Neil Patrick Harris being given TWO awards and several hugs next year to make up for it. Oh, and it was nice to see Charles Dickens kicking ass with "Little Dorrit."

+ Cinema Blend has an interview with Joshua Jackson on all sorts of "Fringe" topics...making me wish I'd caught up with the end of season one before reading it. Oh well.

+ I linked to this on Twitter over the weekend, but just in case you missed it, I thought it was funny enough to include here: a man in the UK feels he was discriminated against at his local Tesco because they asked him to remove his Jedi hood while in the store. The man founded the International Church of Jediism last year, and felt he was being ridiculed when asked to take down the hood on his cloak. That's all well and good, but what makes this story art is the statement from Tesco, reprinted below:

"Jedi are very welcome to shop in our stores although we would ask them to remove their hoods. Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda and Luke Skywalker all went hoodless without going to the Dark Side. If Jedi walk around our stores with their hoods on, they'll miss lots of special offers."

Actually, the Jedi's final statement is pretty good too:

"I'll advise worshippers to boycott Tesco if it happens again. They will feel the Force." Of four people not buying Lilt.

+ For your daily dose of prettiness, check out these gorgeous photos of glaciers at Wired, including this one of Bear Glacier in Alaska.



+ And finally, courtesy of Park Bench reader TheWonderingSwordsman, here's a cool trailer from the new Halo 3: ODST game, which hits stores tomorrow. It features the voices of Nathan Fillion and Adam Baldwin, which is reason enough to buy it right there.



ETA: I can't believe I almost forgot this! You still have 11 more hours to bid on a dinner for two with sci-fi author and legend Harlan Ellison and his wife at their home (which probably means you'll have to help with the dishes afterward). It's part of the Dream for Jeanne Benefit Auction. Thanks to Park Bench reader Dean for the link!

6 comments:

Lisa said...

I loved Kristin's dress, she looked stunning.

Anonymous said...

Words cannot express my love for Michael Emerson. Throw Dr. Horrible into the mix? BRB, jizzing in my pants.

Anonymous said...

I think every award show needs a dose of Dr. Horrible from now on. Also, more Nathan Fillion, please.

crone51 said...

I think I would be scared to have dinner with Harlan Ellison. Isn't he known for being somewhat eccent....um..batshit crazy?

My love for NPH and Nathan Fillion is boundless.

Is boundless even a word? It should be.

hoppytoad79 said...

Tesco's statement is total win. Hoodless without going to the dark side. snerk Love it!

hoppytoad79 said...

@crone51: yes, it's a word.