Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Tuesday Odds & Ends: The Guild, Legos, Fringe, Marvel and unforgiveable accents

+ You know "The Guild" has made it when it's featured in "The Wall Street Journal." It's a pretty interesting article on how Felicia Day cultivated it as an independent project. Also, episode one of the new season is now embeddable, which means it's below. Enjoy!

<a href="http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-us&brand=msn video&playlist=videoByUuids:uuids:6f31eb66-4360-439a-ad62-f2bdf28f550e&showPlaylist=true&from=IV2_en-us_v11HP&fg=gtlv2" target="_new" title="Season 3 - Episode 1: Expansion Time">Video: Season 3 - Episode 1: Expansion Time</a>

+ Remember a while back I mentioned that James May was building an actual house built out of Legos? Well, he did, using more than 816 million Lego blocks. Here's what it looks like, mid-build:

+ This Thursday night, you'll be able to Twitter along with the "Fringe" cast during a rebroadcast of last year's "The Road Not Taken" episode. You'll be able to post your own comments as well. I encourage you to ask Joshua Jackson if he's wearing pants...celebrities like that plus, it's just a good thing to know.

+ Cinemablend tries to quell the massive freak-out storm over Disney's acquisition of Marvel. Here, they share their five reasons not to lose sleep over the deal. But then you've got The Hollywood Reporter which is pretty much all about the big changes and why, yeah, you might want to freak out just a little bit.

+ I really enjoyed this list of the Empire Magazine's "Worst British Accents Ever." It comes with helpful video to prove the dialectical sins. Poor Kevin Costner, he'll never live down that "Robin Hood" fiasco...

+ And finally, if you're like me and find yourself trolling the Internet constantly for "Doctor Who" news, may I recommend this site which seems to include every up-to-the-minute spoiler you'd ever want? It's got me really looking forward to the new season.

8 comments:

Camera Obscura said...

I want to see a reverse list -- Worst American accents by Brits.

Phil Glenister, I love you to pieces, but just... No.

connecticutyankee said...

I had to leave a comment on that Hollywood Reporter article. I just loved (insert sarchastic eyeroll) the bit about Disney bringing ladies to the icky world of superhero movies. We'll only go see Tarantino movies beause Brad Pitt is in them or pirate movies because Johnny Depp stars. Oh please! I love superheros and comics and watching Nazis get scalped! I don't need my entertainment to be covered in pink; I just need it not to condescend to me becasue I'm a woman.

Kaylia Metcalfe said...

I love Kevin even if his accent sucked.

Guilty pleasure I guess.

Gina said...

yay the guild season 3!

Liz said...

Camera, I was totally thinking that too. I'd love to see a reverse list!

Connecticutyankee, I'm glad you left a comment on the HR article. That part cracked me up, too. I'm an action adventure junkie. I love big loud movies and having eye candy like Johnny Depp in them is just icing on the cake.

Kay, I have a soft spot for that movie as well. Mostly for Alan Rickman but Kevin and Morgan Freeman were pretty good too. I'm going to have to queue that one up on the DVD again sometime soon!

Tracy said...

Liz wrote:

Kay, I have a soft spot for that movie as well. Mostly for Alan Rickman but Kevin and Morgan Freeman were pretty good too. I'm going to have to queue that one up on the DVD again sometime soon!

Yeah, as silly and schmaltzy as so much of the movie is Costner is eye candy, and I just enjoy watching Morgan Freeman and Alan Rickman.

Rickman's Sheriff of Nottingham was the best part of the whole film as far as I am concerned. So delightfully creepy and funny, too. I also loved him as Hans Gruber in the original Die Hard film.

CT Yankee ... Hollywood is convinced that women only watch scifi and fantasy when hot men are involved ... or there is a romance. I am afraid the whole Twilight phenomena doesn't help on that score. [I don't get THAT personally.]

Have you guys seen the new Twilight make-up line? I was a bit surprised that they don't sell foundation in bone and chalk for the undead pallor ...

cha-ching, cha-ching ... < http://twilightbeauty.com/ >

cjp said...

Looking forward to Fringe but I was very impressed when I jumped into an episode of "Defying Gravity". Big points to them for doing a character driven sci-fi work. Hope it doesn't get cancelled. You should check it out.
Big thumbs up from a Whedon girl, here.

Stacy said...

Okay, I'd like to honestly ask, because this has been a point of confusion for me for MANY years: how can Kevin Costner be convicted of Bad Accent when HE DIDN'T DO ONE?! It's his normal accent. Frankly, I'm rather glad that they asked us to pretend than subjecting us to a horrific accent that would make us all cry blood tears, ie: Keanu Reeves in Bram Stoker's Dracula? It was asking for willful suspension of disbelief, and truth be told, THAT'S WHY I WATCH MOVIES. I actually never noticed until someone pointed it out that everyone was British except for him, because it's not a thing! It matters absolutely ZILCH. Maybe this means that me and the other three people out there who actually LIKE Kevin Costner are asking to have their houses egged for supporting him in this, but again, I say I'm glad he didn't give us a crap accent, he realized his limitations, and still gave us a damn good movie. I love that movie and I'm a medieval historian. Willful suspension, folks.

(I must admit, however, to being totally incapable of willfully suspending anything when it comes to any sort of messing about with "Beowulf". Thou shalt not is the rule there. It's amazing, let it alone, please. Thanks.)