Friday, May 08, 2009

Odds and Ends for Friday

+ Some time in the 1990s, I visited Ottumwa, Iowa against my will so that the guy I was traveling with could visit an ex-girlfriend. All I remember is that there was a chicken processing plant and we went to a weird house where the only furniture was a tanning bed. Anyway, this town keeps turning up in the oddest places. A few years back, it turned out to be the site of the largest book theft in the United States and now it's lobbying to become the Official Video Game Capital of the World...which would no doubt give the guy with the tanning bed a reason to go outside. Actually, Ottumwa has a long and storied history in the video game world. Also, they have a Wal-Mart. I know because I bought a day-glo tennis racket there. Just FYI.

+ Do you like comic books? Have I got a site for you! Some fine gentlemen friends of mine have created a new blog called SeeBelow* which is chock full of news and opinion on all things comic book-y. Check it out if you have a few free moments today...

+ USA Today had a cool preview of the Robert Downey-Jude Law "Sherlock Holmes" flick scheduled for release this Christmas. I don't know why I'm so excited about this movie but I really, really can't wait to see it.

+ Speaking of movies, here's a new preview for "Transformers," one that just confirms my belief that if ever left in Shia LaBeouf's presence, I would become the world's worst cougar:



+ I leave you with this gift of awesomeness: "My Little Pony: Reign of the Buttercup Sprinkles." Oh my God, this cracked me up. You'll notice more than a few passing nods to the "Transformers" preview above. "They shall come in a rainbow of colors..." Hee.



Have a great, "Star Trek"-filled weekend everyone! Look out for ponies!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Radar O'Reilly, a character on M*A*S*H was from Ottumwa...

Anonymous said...

I saw Star Trek last night at 11pm. I thought it was effing hilarious.

There was a lot of action and I think they dealt with the continuity between this movie and the orginal series pretty well. I didn't find anything to fuss about.

And I absolutely love Simon Pegg as Scotty!

Enjoy! I think you may approve!

crone51 said...

Saw Trek last night. Am going again tonight- this time in IMAX! . I was 15 when the first episode aired in 1966 and fell in love for the next forty odd(quite!) years- After seeing the reboot the only thing I can say is "Forty More Years!". It was absolutely delightful. Well done, all around. Can't wait to hear ( er, read) what you think of it!

Mary B said...

I was in Ottumwa on a family trip in the late 70s/early 80s. We were visiting a small fireworks factory. I remember it was on a very ugly river. There's a picture of me somewhere holding a large aerial bomb.

Chelsea said...

As a former Iowan, I do not approve of Ottumwa being recognized for anything especially Video Game Capital of the World. Now Sherlock Holmes with those two, I most definitely approve of.