Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Odds and Ends

+ Well, no news on whether "Chuck" has been renewed by NBC yet but here's a bit of good news in the interim: Fox has renewed "Fringe" which makes me very happy indeed. Why? Pretty Joshua Jackson and highly entertaining John Noble, whom I'm certain I would have an inappropriate crush on if he was my college professor

+ A whole bunch of Hollywood actors earned legitimacy today -- yes, the Tony Award nominations were announced! I feel like I've already seen two of the nominated plays. They're called "Billy Elliot" and "Shrek the Musical." Oh Broadway, isn't it bad enough that Hollywood keeps remaking the same movies? Now you're doing stage adaptations of films? Cut it out! On the plus side, a big Michigan whoo hoo for our native son Jeff Daniels and his nomination for "God of Carnage," which I'm guessing is a remake of "Towering Inferno" or some such thing.

+ There's legislation in the works to imprison bloggers whose "electronic speech is meant to 'coerce, intimidate, harass, or cause substantial emotional distress to a person.'" No, really. Which means I'm totally going to have to speed up the timeline on my "CheerleadersPandas Are Whorish McWhore Whores" blog launch. Damn.

8 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

The whole cheerleaders are whorish mcwhore whores thing is really beneath you. In school, I was always a nerdy girl (hell, I even got a PhD), but I was also a cheerleader. Stereotypes hurt everyone.

Liz said...

I'm sorry, Anna. I was going for sarcastic and out in left field with that, trying to say that I think it's ridiculous that ridiculous things could be legislated against. Two of my best friends were cheerleaders in high school and they're way smarter than me, so I'm sorry about that. Didn't mean it seriously!

Anna van Schurman said...

I was joking too. That's what I was going for with the afterschool special "Stereotypes hurt everyone" moral. You're so right about the legislation.

Liz said...

Phew, glad I didn't really offend you. I'm having one of those days where my breathing just seems to be offending people. (Perhaps a breath mint is in order?) I was feeling so guilty I was thinking of replacing "cheerleaders" with "pandas" which, actually, I think I'll do anyway because everything's funnier with pandas!

Unknown said...

I made an offhand remark the other day on my FB profile about people who wear sports jerseys as regular clothing. (I've never understood that!) A guy I know (more of an aquaintance than a friend) blew up in the comments section. Turns out it hit a sore spot from his childhood. I apologized (though I still thought it was funny) but he wouldn't let it go. Awkward! Nice to see you two can laugh and get over it. I can tell neither of you wear jerseys when you're out... ;)

The Husband said...

"I can tell neither of you wear jerseys when you're out... ;)"

Uh oh Liz. I guess this will make you change your idea on what to wear on Friday. haha

Ms. Meg said...

As a representative of theatre nerds everywhere, I need to state that we all hate it when movies are made musical. Even the good ones like Hairspray and The Producers.

I am going to NYC next weekend and instead of seeing 9 to 5, the musical, I am seeing Waiting for Godot. NERDS UNITE.

Anonymous said...

You were unaware of the Movie musicals thing? I'm working coat check for Mary Poppins right now, Dirty Dancing closed a couple of months back, and Legally Blonde is opening next week. Yes, all musicals. Sigh.

I will say that Mary Poppins has a great set, and draws from the books (which I now kind of want to read) as well as the movie. And really, those songs are well-suited for the stage anyway. But... hearing supercalifragilisticexpialidocious five times a week is trying. And yes, I correctly spelled that by singing it out in my head.

I love that you are a Michigan lady, and that I get nerdy Michigan whoo-hoos for all of my Michigan favorites at this blog.