Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Odds and Ends: TV renewals galore, the Martha Stewart of Star Trek interiors, 19th-century robots and Tracy Jordan

+ The verdicts came in on a whole bunch of nerd-favorite TV shows this week and, well, there's good news and there's bad news. But mostly, good news! Going against fate and all things holy, "Dollhouse" actually got renewed for a full second season. Of course, it'll still be trapped on Friday nights but goodness, who among us really thought FOX would renew a Whedon show in our lifetimes? Now I know how people felt when we went to the Moon for the first time. In other good news, "Castle" got renewed as well, prompting Nathan Fillion to tweet, "I can't remember the last time I had a second season of ANYTHING. I don't know if I remember what to do. Step one: go to Canada. Relax." Step Two? "See Star Trek a second time." In other news, "Bones" got renewed for two seasons and "The Big Bang Theory" will return next year as well -- not a shock there! And now for the bad news, "The Sarah Connor Chronicles" got canceled. I didn't really watch the show, but the absence of robots from the TV screen is a loss any way you look at it.

+ This man in Leicestershire, England has turned his flat into a dead-on replica of the "Star Trek: Next Generation" Enterprise. The newscaster sounds shocked that it cost him four thousand pounds -- given the detail, I'm astonished it cost that little.


+ io9 has an interesting item about William Douglas O'Connor, friend of Walt Whitman and apparently the author of the first "robot revolution" story. Called "The Brazen Android," it revolves around the creation of an omniscient brass head. The story, which was started in 1857, is available in its entirety as an audio book here.

+ And finally, to brighten your day, a list of everything Tracey Jordan has said this season on "30 Rock." My personal favorite? “I watched Boston Legal 9 times before I realized it wasn’t a new Star Trek.” Hee.

3 comments:

Anjuli said...

Yay for Bones and Big Bang Theory! I've really gotten into Bones lately, and I think John Francis Daley should be a future Nerd Man of the Month. Did you see him singing in the final episode? It was awesome. Add that together with his character's usual non-macho-ness and his past with Freaks and Geeks, and I am definitely doing a nerd-swoon.

Michelle said...

Hooray for the fabulous news! Dollhouse only got 13 episodes and Chuck won't be back til midseason, but still - much happy dancing. And there will kinda be robots in Caprica.

crone51 said...

I just forwarded the Tracy Jordan thing all over the place. That guy makes me giggle helplessly.

Dollhouse ! Chuck! Castle! Castle is silly but it's mainly about Nathan Fillion being charming. And charming he is.