Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Wednesday tidbits

* The release yesterday of Stephen Colbert's new book, I Am America and So Can You! has meant a wonderful flurry of interviews with the man himself, including a terrific one he did yesterday with Terry Gross on NPR's "Fresh Air." It's 48 minutes long, but it provides great insight into how "The Colbert Report" is done as well as some interesting details on Colbert's infamously awesome White House Correspondents Dinner performance. If you don't have 48 minutes to spare and would rather skip ahead to my favorite part (and who wouldn't?), go to the 45th minute of the interview and hear Colbert talk about trying to convince Henry Kissinger to say the words, "Where are my pancakes? I was promised pancakes." Colbert's Kissinger impression is brilliant.

* In other news, Variety is reporting that Eric Bana will play the villain Nero in J.J. Abrams new "Star Trek" movie. I hope this Nero character is actually supposed to be the Roman emperor of the same name so that we can have some cool time travel and see Spock wearing a toga while listening to some inexplicable hippie music -- just like a real episode of the original Star Trek! My fingers are crossed....

* A wealthy dude with money to burn ponied up $250,000 for the first issue of the "Batman" comic. He hasn't actually read it yet. I'd be afraid to read anything I just paid $250,000 for, too. One good sneeze and you erase $50,000 off the resale value. Talk about pressure.

5 comments:

Rose said...

I'm halfway through I Am America and it's pretty much one of the greatest books ever.

Liz said...

I'm completely broke right now, but the more I hear about that book, the more I think I should just forego lunches and buy it. Better to be fed with great jokes than lousy sandwiches, as they say.

annie said...

I listened to that Terry Gross interview and it was amazing.

I want to get both the audio and visual parts of his book. I'm sure SC'll rank right up there with John Hodgman.

Anonymous said...

http://firefox.org/news/articles/727/1/Star-Trek-Casting-Eric-Bana-Simon-Pegg-John-Cho/Page1.html

Why yes, that DOES say "Simon Pegg". Your new Scotty!

Liz said...

Thanks for the link, Silver. I'm totally thrilled about Simon Pegg and about John Cho as Sulu. I loved Cho in Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle, which is one of my favorite no-brainer movies of all time.