Monday, October 15, 2007

Blog Action Day: Tree Hugging Is Cooooool!

I can feel the dark blazing eyes of My Political Boyfriend Al Gore (TM) on me right now as I realize I forgot to do my part for Blog Action Day, a world-wide effort to get thousands of bloggrs to post on one subject: the environment.

My soapbox is low to the ground, and I'm afraid of heights, so I'll be quick and just say I hope anyone reading this will take just a few minutes today to think of one thing you can do to conserve energy or help clean up your corner of the environment. Whether it's recycling your coffee cans, swapping out your regular light bulbs with some energy-efficient bulbs, walking to the video store to rent "Transformers" rather than driving, visiting sites like www.treehugger.com or just making a date with a friend to watch "An Inconvenient Truth"...and spend the next week freaked out about the impending demise of the polar bear (Trust me, I've done that...and I think I just freaked myself out again.), it all helps.

When I first got converted to my current semi-tree-hugger status, I tended to panic and think, "What the hell can I do to help the environment? It's too big a problem. There are too many SUVs trying to run me over!" But we can make a difference if enough of us try. It's easy to do...just simple choices one at a time. They all add up.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. Thanks for listening -- or reading. You know what I mean.

2 comments:

Mickie Poe said...

I know, right?! I'm scared for the polar bears AGAIN!

I don't know where the closest tree is...can I hug a plant, instead?

Liz said...

Yes, plant hugging is absolutely encouraged.

I can't even watch those animated Coca-Cola polar bears at Christmas time without getting upset.