Monday, July 13, 2009

Monday Odds & Ends: Green Lantern, re-edited Star Wars and Hong Kong Phooey

+ For those who may have missed the news this weekend, Ryan Reynolds will play the Green Lantern in the upcoming film, scheduled to begin shooting in January. While not my ideal choice -- which sadly tapped into my emerging cougar tendencies and was named Justin Timberlake -- I think Reynolds will do a fine job with the role.

+ This could either be really impressive or really scary or a fun-filled combination of the two: a site called "Star Wars Uncut" has divided "Star Wars: A New Hope" into 15-second clips and asked people to recreate those moments, which will then be edited back together into one, long mind-trippy homage to the original. Check out the article at IO9 for a couple sample clips. It's the second, Jawa-themed one that has me worried.

+ My friend and I were talking this weekend about how we'd like to invent a board game. This would not be it. Yes, from the makers of "Twilight" the book and "Twilight" the movie comes "Twilight" the board game which I'm hard-pressed to believe even the most avid fan would give valuable and hard-to-find American dollars to possess. Then again, this is coming from someone who owns the "Buffy" board game but that one is totally good, I swear! No judging!

+ Remember how you were worried that someone might forget to make a live-action/animated film version of the 1970s cartoon "Hong Kong Phooey." Well, worry no longer. Some writer dude from "Family Guy" is going to resurrect the robed mutt...and sucker someone into buying a ticket when they wake up drunk on some Saturday morning and think, "Man, you know what I need? A dose of dogs doing kung fu." And voila, a ticket is sold, a dream is fullfilled!

+ Did you know that swearing is good for you? At least in terms of pain relief. So the next time you drop a hammer on your foot and launch into a pyrotechnical parade of profanity, take comfort in the knowledge that it's your brain's way of easing the pain. Scientists proved it and everything!

+ And finally, thank you everyone for your excellent Nerd Man of the Month nominations. I've never before witnessed a battle of the Alans, so that was very cool, and I agreed whole-heartedly with the awesomeness of everyone's submissions. This month's winner will be announced later this afternoon so be sure to check back in. Thanks again!

8 comments:

Cara King said...

Hong Kong Phooey, number one superguy, lives? All right!

Chris Ayers said...

Sorry Hong Kong Phooey...no Scatman Crothers, no sale. Accept no substitutes!

Elimare said...

oh man, myself and my sister were singing the hong kong phooey theme song last week!

The Pea Picker said...

I know at least 15 women who would love the Twilight game. They were all huddled together at midnight to watch the movie when it came out. They had a party beforehand. They'll have this game at the party for the next movie I guess.

Not that games based on books is bad. We've played Pride & Prejudice at my book club. Even women who would never dream of being nerds can be Austen nerds.

Rachel said...

I have attempted to defend the Buffy board game to many people. But, but, it's fun!

crone51 said...

The kids and I bought the husband/dad the Battle Star Galactica board game for Father's Day. We've can't figure the godsdamned thing out. It has cool little metal raiders and stuff though...

agent57 said...

Guys, there's a Buffy board game? And a P&P one?

I'm missing out, here.

Liz said...

Agent57, yes, there is a Buffy board game and it's quite good. It's very intricate and entertaining and moves right along. It's a great party game.