Monday, August 24, 2009

Monday Odds & Ends: animated "Doctor Who," Buffy and Colbert, "Supernatural" & Little Red Riding Hood

+ The BBC released its first look at the new Doctor Who animated special, "Dreamland," set to air this fall. Voiced by David Tennant, the special takes the Doctor to Roswell, New Mexico, home of the famous (infamous?) flying saucer crash/hoax of the late 1940s. I haven't seen the other "Who" animated special but I'm liking the illustration work for this one:

+ Looking forward to the new season of "Supernatural?" Here's a new preview to tide you over:



+ Speaking of apocalypses, here's something I never thought I'd see: a Stephen Colbert/"Buffy" crossover. Now I haven't been keeping up with Dark Horse's Season 8 "Buffy" comics but apparently recent developments have Harmony landing her own reality show and going on "The Colbert Report" to pimp it. This scenario tickles me to no end. Here's a panel from the comic:

+ Details emerged this weekend on the new "World of Warcraft: Cataclysm" expansion. Among the newsy bits, there's gonna be goblins and werewolves now. The expansion is set for release in 2010.

+ We're going back to the classics at least: Leonardo DiCaprio's production company is looking to revamp "Little Red Riding Hood," putting -- and I'm not making this up -- a teenage love triangle at the center of the story. It looks like "Twilight" director Catherine Hardwicke will be directing this bad boy as well. It's totally going to put a downer on the prom, though, when grandma gets eaten. Sorry, spoilers.

+ Now this sounds like it could actually be a cool movie: a film adaptation of the "Bioshock" game, which scares the bejeezus out of me just watching my husband play it. Juan Carlos Fresnadillo, who directed "28 Weeks Later," which, coincidentally also scared the bejeezus out of me, will head this one up too.

+ Check back in later today to find out who won the nifty "9" prize. And thanks to everyone who entered -- it was great to see so much interest!

5 comments:

Michele said...

A teenage love triangle at the centre of Little Red Riding Hood? So, they're not *actually* adapting that story, they're just writing something else and *calling* it Little Red Riding Hood...

Geez!

Personally I *love* The Infinite Quest - it's got ASH playing a baddy (again) for a start. Can't go wrong with that, if you ask me!

Liz said...

Oh wow, I didn't know ASH was in Infinite Quest. I'll definitely put it on my rental list.

Michele said...

Yup! He voiced Baltazar - and did it marvellously!

@winterone51 said...

Great update! Supernatural and Doctor Who in the same post = awesome. Throw in news of a Little Red Riding Hood movie (teenaged love triangle bleck aside) and a Bioshock movie and I'm a happy girl. Anyway, can't wait for the Doctor Who film and Supernatural!! Great autumn things await.

agent57 said...

I enjoyed The infinite quest a lot... especially the character designs... but was sad that they didn't fully animate it... the limited animation flash thing doesn't carry very well over a story that long. (though I guess it was meant to be viewed as separate clips rather than the whole as a lump) I can't tell if that's concept art, or if this one is 3D, but I look forward to it!

Also, I freaking called that "O Death" would be a great song for Supernatural, (if only I weren't so lazy when it comes to making fan videos) though I much prefer the Ralph Stanley version. It's so stark and powerful... "Won't you spare me over till another year..."