Thursday, August 06, 2009

Thursday Odds & Ends: sci-fi authors, Dune, Robot Chicken and sexy statisticians

+ Good God, I leave the internet for a few hours this morning and then all of a sudden, Twitter goes boom! I hear it's up and running again, although I still can't load it. I feel oddly bereft without my celebrity bon mots today. (I just started following Justin Timberlake yesterday. That's like getting a fabulous new car that sings like sweet angels and looks good in jaunty hats and then not being able to drive it. Or something.)

+ I love "writers at work" stories. Here's a nifty photo essay on sci-fi authors and where they write. It makes me feel good to know that successful people are messy and likely don't know where their staplers are either.

+ Speaking of sci-fi author's Frank Herbert's work is getting name-checked on the Saturn moon of Titan. An icy, sandy plain is being named after a planet in "Dune." Rumor has it that the next plain they find in a horrible costume and bright orange hair that overacts terribly yet can write some pretty good reggae-inspired pop tunes will be named after Sting's performance in "Dune" the movie.

+ If you live on the East Coast, there's still a few days left to catch the Adult Swim "Robot Chicken on Wheels" tour which involves Seth Green motoring around the country and stopping to roller skate with people. Actually, there's probably a lot more to it than that...but let's face it, roller skating with Seth Green would be reason enough to see it anyway, right?

+ Woo hoo, people who like the maths! You guys got a big high-five from The New York Times yesterday with their article on how statistics is the new hot field. A Google exec is even quoted as saying, "the sexy job of the next ten years will be statisticians." Yeah, take that, supermodels -- statisticians even get to eat bread sometimes.

+ PBS' "Great Performances" will air David Tennant's "Hamlet" in 2010. In related news, you can't actually die from licking the television, right?

5 comments:

Harper13 said...

I know from personal experience that licking a COMPUTER SCREEN brings no harm.


Uhhh, I mean...a friend told me. Yeaaah...a friend.

Liz said...

A likely story. ;)

Tracy said...

Hmmmm ...
In the wake of "data mining is sexy", there is also this lovely gem.

Anonymous said...

I'm starting to think writing sci fi doesn't pay that well. Too many of those authors are using CRT monitors. It's sci fi people! Welcome to the future!

Also I think I see lick marks on a few of them...

jendoop said...

My DH is an actuary (insurance statistician). When he started in the field all kinds of rosy things were being said. Doesn't seem rosy now. It pays the bills but we aren't livin' the high life or anything.