Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Wednesday Odds & Ends: James Marsters, Rifftrax, the other cats musical and gratuitious squirrel imagery

+ Don't you love it when great fandoms collide? Everyone's favorite ex-bleach blond vampire is coming to SyFy's "Caprica." Yes, James Marsters will be joining the BSG prequel for at least three episodes playing a terrorist named Barnabus Greeley. Now if only we could get John Barrowman on there, we'd have a nerd trifecta.

+ In other vampire casting news, there are nebulous rumors afloat that Robert Downey Jr. might play the vampire Lestat in a film based on an unspecified Anne Rice novel. I don't think we could get any more vague about this if we tried.

+ Don't forget -- tomorrow night Rifftrax will be going live in theaters nationwide with their mighty mockery of Ed Wood's classic "Plan 9 From Outerspace." Jonathan Coulton will be a special guest. You can purchase tickets here and read an interview with Rifftrax guys Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy and Bill Corbett here.

+ Did you know that there's a musical based on the "I Can Has Cheezburger" site? It's called, um, "I Can Has Cheezburger: The MusicalLOL" and is being performed at various times through August 28 as part of the New York International Fringe Festival. I can't help but think this is kind of awesome. And it's been getting backhandedly good reviews!

+ Here's an artist who knows how to put his Legos to good use: cartoonist Mark Anderson is building spaceships in the shape of alphabet letters using Legos. Check out the letter B:

+ Interested in getting the background story on the now famous "squirrel in the vacation" photo image? Gizmodo has video of the couple's Today show interview. (The link is, of course, just an excuse to post the photo. Have I mentioned I love squirrels?)

+ And finally, if you're looking for some good online reading material, check out my friend Ian's new blog "TV Lowdown." He's got the scoop on a lot of great TV news and he's an all-around nice guy, so there's two reasons to stop by and visit.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I got to see "I Can Has Cheezburger: The MusicLOL" last night, and it is extremely silly and extremely awesome. There is a character named L. Rus. Buckets are involved.

Anonymous said...

I saw Rifftrax tonight! Aside from the (inevitable?) one guy in the theater who thought that just because Mike, Kevin, and Bill could do it, he could do it too, it was a great experience. I hope they do another one.

jessi said...

Rifftrax was awesome! My friends and I thought about counting all the people wearing glasses, and then decided it would be easier to count the people NOT wearing them. We also decided that every other person in the theater looked like someone we could be friends with. I hope they do another one, too.