Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tuesday Odds & Ends: Captain Mal, colliding galaxies, T. rex arms, video games and Nerd Man nominations

+ How great was the return of Captain Mal last night on "Castle?" If you didn't get a chance to see it, thr.com had the clip, which I'm posting below:



+ Hulu has the first 9 minutes of "V" available for viewing. I haven't had a chance to watch it myself yet but I've heard slightly tepid things about it. Let me know what you think.

+ The "Star Trek" media empire is ready to conquer another genre: the live stage show. Designed for theme parks and performance centers, the show will take audience members on the interactive journey through space with Kirk and Spock.

+ Here's some good news: apparently "Arrested Development" creator Mitchell Hurwitz is in the process of writing a script for the AD movie that everyone's been hoping for and talking about for so long. Can't wait to see Will Arnett on a Segway again!

+ Check out this terrific PSA that Felicia Day did for NASA about colliding galaxies. It's really...funny! Who knew NASA had it in them?



+ This item is pretty much for my husband who calls me "T. rex arms" when I stand with my hands a certain way -- I would like for him to read this article here that clearly states that although T. rex's had tiny arms in comparison to the rest of their ginormous bodies, those tiny arms could still curl roughly 430 pounds and rip a human arm out of its socket. Yeah!

+ Which segues naturally into this next item on how playing video games together can be good couples therapy. I believe that statement to be 100 percent true.

+ If you enjoy a little nerdy humor with your Bible study, check out Park Bench reader Adam's videos. He does a nice job injecting some levity into the Good Book and manages to name-check Buffy and Erasmus within five minutes of each other. If my priest had done that, I probably wouldn't be the card-carrying fearful agnostic I am today. There went my soul, all for want of a pop culture reference...

+ And finally, if you'd like a double dose of Nerd Men of the Month goodness, check out this interview with Joss Whedon conducted by Ira Glass -- two past winners together at last! The interview took place in support of 826NYC and their creative writing programs for kids; a very worthy cause indeed! Thank you, Austen, for sending the link!

Speaking of Nerd Men, as you can tell, the month of October is drawing to a close and I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm in need of some Nerd Man nominations. Any ideas?

19 comments:

ShadowsTomes said...

I was in geeky heaven last night! I love Castle and I loved seeing Nathan dressed as Mal again!

Jennifer said...

What about Paul Feig for nerd man of the month? His production/writing is the common factor in a lot of excellent comedy. Arrested Development, The Office, Freaks and Geeks, and now Bored to Death.

Amey said...

The funniest part of Castle was his daughter telling him, "Didn't you wear this 5 years ago? Get over it" Love the reference ;)

Anne Harding said...

The Malcolm Reynolds costume on 'Castle' was hilarious. Wondering how many viewers got the joke?

I nominate Joshua Jackson for Nerd Man of the Month....new to the role, for sure, but definitely earning his geek stripes in Fringe this season.

Erin said...

Ah, Mal...*sigh* stupid fox network. Anyway, I think Nicholas Brendon totally deserves a Nerd Man nod because not only was he in every freaking episode of Buffy, he WAS A NERD on Buffy. Plus, he's now Kevin, the ultra nerdy boy toy of the Queen Nerd herself, Penelope Garcia, on Criminal Minds.

Michael J. Narlock said...

That clip of Mal is made of awesome. It is the great tragedy of our time that Firefly was so short lived.

Unknown said...

Thank you for showing the clip of Mal. I was squealing so much last night I didn't hear half of what he was saying.

Ms. Meg said...

Nerd Man of the Month, in honor of Halloween, what about the super adorable guy from Ghost Hunters?

Red said...

I could vote for Nicholas Brendon, though I would say Willow was the nerd, in that she was the smart one and the computer instructor and hacker.

Liz B. said...

I LOVED the reference in Castle last night. I missed the episode last night (Eagles-Giants on Monday Night Football...I'm a Philly fan), so I was catching up on my lunch hour at work...and nearly spit cranberry juice all over my monitor. It was fantastic. "Didn't you wear that, like, five years ago?" "So?" "Don't you think you should move on?" "I LIKE IT."

Also, nerd man nomination: Hugh Laurie.

Cara King said...

Ooh...that bit on Castle made me so happy & excited last night that I nearly had a heart attack. So cool!!!

And then they gave us references to Buffy, Underworld, and Frank Miller. Love that show!

Cara

Unknown said...

Nerd man nomination: Sean Murray. Not only is he the nerdy McGee on NCIS, he's admitted in interviews to building his own computers, and he was also the adorable teenaged Thackery Binks in Hocus Pocus.

Anonymous said...

Michael Emerson for Nerd Man of the Month! Ben Linus needs love.

Addie said...

My vote is for Christopher Eccleston. The Tenth Doctor had his turn, what about the Ninth? I find them both adorable, and Eccleston is in the new Amelia Earhart film that came out this month.

ReluctantFemme said...

This might sound a bit left field, but how about Vin Diesel? Sure, he's a big boofy muscular hunk, but he's also a dyed-in-the-wool D'D nerd, and isn't afraid to tell anyone who wants to listen. He did Chronicles of Riddick just so he could get his hands on the rights to a tabletop roleplaying game using the setting.

Heather said...

Ben Folds for Nerd Man--come on, his fan club is called the People's Front of Judea, he wears classically nerdy black glasses, and is often adorably lacking in a sense of style. He embodies the term 'nerd'.

Geekgirl452 said...

Nerd Men of the Month Canidates:

Candidate: Jason Schwartzman

Argument 1: Rushmore
What nerd didn't identify with Max Fisher-he is one of the first protagonists in a movie as deeply obsessive and talented as us. And no matter how great the writing for this movie was it was Schwartzman who made the character-he showed up to audition in the private school jacket.

Argument 2: Coconut Records
True to nerd form- Schwartzman is not content with just being a great character actor, but akin to his Rushmore counterpart decides he will be good at everything. Not every actor can make music and actually have it turn out to be good (apologizes to Russell Crowe and Kevin Bacon). Just listen to the layered lyrics and pathos of “West Coast” and tell me that isn’t a nerdy proficiency level of excellence?

Candidate: John Francis Daley

Argument 1: Freaks and Geeks
You watched it; it was sadly ahead of its time. We already knew high school was painful, and Sam helped us feel it all over again but in a good way, like therapy but without the homework.

Argument 2: Dr. Lance Sweets
This character is awesome. He's intelligent, needy, and funny with the kind of wicked good psychological insights that do a nerd proud. Plus his romance plotline with geeky lab assistant Daisy is breaking ground in the area of televised nerd dating patterns.

Adam said...

Highlight of my day: being a park bench odd and end on the same day as Castle's Mal costume and Felicia Day. Thanks for the linklove, Liz!

P.S. I've made a commitment to have some sort of Whedonverse reference in every one of my videos, so keep checking back!

Sareberry said...

Ha! What in the name of Joss Whedon...

Laughing so hard my side hurts.