Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Wednesday Odds & Ends: Jack Ryan, Toy Story 3, Star Wars meets 30 Rock and a cute slow loris

+ Captain Kirk 2.0 himself is apparently in talks to revamp another classic character. Yep, Chris Pine may take on the role of Tom Clancy's CIA analyst Jack Ryan, previously played with saucy aplomb by Alec Baldwin and Harrison Ford. I know I'd tune in.

+ Pixar has released their trailer for "Toy Story 3" which is due out in theaters next June. I will admit I got a bit nostalgic seeing Buzz and Woody again. Here it is for your viewing pleasure, via Cinemablend. You also can see it in HD over at the Apple site.



+ Gandalf aka Ian McKellen got chatty recently with Empire Magazine, sharing details on the upcoming "Hobbit" film as well as a few nuggets on "X-Men."

+ The creator of "Gilmore Girls," Amy Sherman-Palladino, has a new deal with HBO to do a series about "three adult sisters, all writers sharing the same upper east side apartment building, and their mother, a domineering literary lioness who reserves most of her affections for their ne'er-do-well brother." It sounds a bit like a modern Bronte family. Given how much love was shown for literature and the written word on "Gilmore Girls," this is a series I'll definitely try.

+ This list of the Top 10 Funniest "X-Files" Episodes had me digging through my DVD collection yesterday. I have to say, though, I'm shocked "War of the Coprophages" didn't make the list.

+ If you're feeling in the encylopedic mood and want to celebrate the return of Liz Lemon tomorrow night, check out TheForce.Net's list of each and every "Star Wars" reference in "30 Rock." I knew there were a lot but wow, that list is long!

+ And finally, here's a video that amused me greatly yesterday: a creature called a slow loris getting tickled and scratched...and loving every second of it. No, it doesn't take a lot to entertain me.

6 comments:

Bill said...

"previously played with saucy aplomb by Alec Baldwin and Harrison Ford"

and dragged around in the dirt and beaten to an excruciating, slow-yet-violent death by Ben Affleck.

Liz said...

Oh God, I'd completely forgotten the Ben Affleck incarnation. Obviously, my brain was trying to protect me.

Olivia R. Burton said...

I *really hope Palladino's new series is good. The one with Parker Posey- whom I usually dig- was horrifically bad. I have a hard time believing it was written by the same clever mind that came up with Gilmore. I think it was called something like, "The life of Jezebel James."

Unknown said...

I loved the episode, "War of the Coprophages."

That said, still a good list! :)

crone51 said...

Yeah. I would remove Hollywood A. D. and put in WOTC myself. A Darrin Morgan grand slam.

I used to be kind of an X-Files nut. I believe we called ourselves " X-Philes".

It certainly had its moments.

Anonymous said...

this series had been aired on October 13, 2009.the Hollywood Reporter reported that Sherman-Palladino creator of "Gilmore girls episode" had been signed to write and executive produce an as yet untitled drama series for HBO. This series will record the complicated relationship between three adult sisters.