Friday, May 30, 2008

News of the Day -- Friday, May 30

+ Rumor has it that Neil Gaiman will be writing an episode of Doctor Who pretty soon.

+ Were you as blown away by "Lost" last night as I was? I thought so. (Creepy Claire scared the bejeezus out of me.) Bask in that "Lost" afterglow goodness with this terrific essay from The New York Times on the strengths and yes, weaknesses of the show. I love this line: "It is possible that, in the end, “Lost” will turn out to be nothing more than an elaborately analogized exegesis on the horrors of modern travel." Heh.

+ Elizabeth Berkley has joined the cast of "Donnie Darko 2." She'll play "a speed freak-turned-Jesus freak obsessed with cleansing the world of sin and infatuated with her dreamy pastor." No, really. Stop laughing. Whoever thought doing a sequel to "Donnie Darko" was a good idea, well, allow me to send them a reproving look and waggle my finger at them. Naughty!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I too am squeeing over the possibility of Mr. Gaimain writing a Dr. Who ep, it's not set in stone yet.

From the man himself:
http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2008/05/perilous-roads.html

Trey said...

Re: Dr. Who, this is from Neil Gaiman's blog (http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2008/05/perilous-roads.html):

"I see from the internets that Rich Johnston's carefully worded "Well, Neil and Steven Moffat had dinner, and Neil hasn't said no, but there's many slip between cup and lip..." thingummy on his rumour site became "It's an open secret that..." when it was reported on Aint It Cool News and that's now transmuted into "OMG NEIL IS WRITING DOCTOR WHO BEST NEWS EVER" on the next round of news sites, and most of my mail today (except for the one from the young man who wants to know how to get out of doing military service, which just left me flashing on the last part of Blackadder Goes Forth) is asking why I haven't told everyone all about it...

Look, if it ever gets to the point where I know that I'm actually, definitely, for certain, writing an episode of Doctor Who, I'll post it here. In big red letters. Or green. You'll know when it happens, trust me. I may even get Maddy to write the entry for me, and include photographs of cats doing amusing things in it. It'll be a proper blog post. Promise."

Anonymous said...

Last night's Lost wasn't quite a WTF? moment as last year's finale, but it was still all kinds of awesome.

As for the Donnie Darko sequel, I prefer to pretend that it doesn't exist.

Liz said...

Damn those Aint It Cool rumor mongers! Ah well, I'll leave it up as a sign of hope that it'll still happen. Plus, I like to spread rumors. :)

Chewbob said...

IMDB does not confirm this Donnie Darko 2, therefore, in my heart, it isn't so. Where the heck could they go from the first one? I mean, he died.

Liz said...

Jessica, from what I've been reading in various places about this Donnie Darko 2, it sounds like it's Donnie Darko in name only, with a whole new cast, new characters. Very odd. Let's hope the freaky bunny's still in it.

(Actually, I won't be seeing it even if it wins an Oscar. I wasn't too keen on the first movie for some reason.)

Ms. Meg said...

Seriously? They cast Jessie Spanno as a speed freak?! Wow, maybe her band, Hot Sundae, will get back together.

Jenny Grace said...

Donnie Darko 2?? I don't even understand what the premise might possibly be. Naughty naughty indeed.