Tuesday, May 13, 2008

News of the Day -- Tuesday, May 13

+ Have you heard about PMOG, the Passively Multiplayer Online Game? It's an add-on application for Firefox that lets you turn your everyday experiences online into a long-play game. Color me intrigued...

+ Two things stick in my head from high school Latin class: being traumatized by the poetry of Catullus (if you've read him, you know what I'm talking about) and being mesmerized by my classmate Mike's stellar pen-spinning skills. Apparently, pen spinning is a big cult phenomena in Europe and Asia and is growing in popularity in the US, according to Geek Monthly. As evidence, check out www.pentrix.com for the inside scoop on the hoi polloi of pen spinners, like this guy for example:



+ New Yorker editor David Remnick offers this list of 100 Essential Jazz Albums, which I thought was pretty helpful for those who like jazz but are intimidated by the breadth and depth of the genre. Meaning "I know I like Jelly Roll Morton and Bessie Smith, but who the hell are the rest of these people?" Or something like that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

(pssst -- just fyi, "hoi polloi" refers to the common folk, the prols, the "little people", not the big shots)

;)