Thursday, May 08, 2008

News of the Day -- Thursday, May 8

+ Advertising is getting out of hand! Did you hear about the guy who can make clouds in the shape of corporate logos? Yup, Disney's going to have a giant, cloud mouse floating over Disneyland soon. And now, some real estate mogul in L.A. plans to recreate those video ads on the sides of skyscrapers from "Blade Runner." Yup, now residents of LA high-rises can live INSIDE a kitty litter billboard. Talk about dreams come true...

+ The one recurring item on my Christmas list every year since I was, well, born, has been a pony. I have always, always wanted a pony. And yet...not even I would get this: the Ridemaster Pro Horse Riding Simulator. I wasn't able to import the video directly but trust me, click on the above link and watch it. It's like a David Lynch movie.

+ New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art is currently hosting a nifty sounding exhibit called "Superheroes: Fashion and Fantasy," which looks at "how the superhero serves as the ultimate metaphor for fashion and its ability to empower and transform the human body." Nifty, indeed.

5 comments:

Belle Ecrivaine said...

Sure, the "Flogos" might be neat, but isn't there enough advertisement polution bombarding us? It's getting to be pretty bad when every available space, including the air, is regarded as possible ad space. Ridiculous!

Liz said...

The "Flogos" really do bother me. Call me old fashioned but I still think some things should be sacrosanct. I don't want to be on a hike in the Grand Canyon and look up to find a granola bar commercial floating over head.

Camera Obscura said...

Oooh, did you see some of the fashion disasters at the gala Anna Wintour hosted for the opening of that MMoA exhibit?

Liz said...

No, I didn't see them. Were they really bad?

Anonymous said...

I saw a bunch of the "bad" fashion at the Met opening through the eyes of the Go Fug Yourself girls (here's the search for the specific posts: http://www.google.com/search?q=met+fug+carpet&btnG=Fug+Me&domains=gofugyourself.typepad.com%2F&sitesearch=gofugyourself.typepad.com) but I have to admit that I thought that a lot of what looked bad actually went with the theme. It was a "costume gala" celebrating superheroes, after all ... Maybe it's just me and my longing for a Wonder Woman costume to vacuum in?