Tuesday, May 27, 2008

News of the Day -- Monday, May 27

+ Via Pop Candy, this online chat with Peter Jackson and Guillermo del Toro details some of their plans for the upcoming Hobbit movie.

+ If you enjoyed Cinematic Titanic, rejoice because there is more on the way. Three new episodes have been shot with the first scheduled for release on DVD and via download in mid-June. New shows will follow every six weeks. And if you want to see the crew live, they'll be playing the LA Film Festival on June 21, riffing to Roger Corman's "The Wasp Woman," which I'm assuming is about a suburban housewife and her difficulties getting a poolside reservation at the club. I could be wrong...

+ A remake of Ed Wood's "Plan 9 From Outer Space" is being planned. Director John Johnson (if that is his real name) intends to remake it as a serious, scary sci-fi movie, creating a "film that Wood would have enjoyed, or perhaps even made himself, if not bound by the technological limitations placed on filmmakers 50 years ago." Really, I don't think Ed's problems with "Plan 9" were "technological limitations." I think the paper plate flying saucers were the least of his worries in that one. Sigh.

+ I'm a girl ergo my innate attraction to "cuteness" is not something I can control, which is why I'm sharing this even though it is not at all nerdy -- not unless one of the creatures involved grows up to get a PhD or star on "30 Rock." Without further ado, I give you gratuitous video of baby beavers. Be prepared, they are adorable:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Those are the cutest little critters! Also, check out the Film Crew's rif on Hollywood After Dark. This is Mike Nelson's crew (the men behind Tom Servo and Crooowe are on hand as well). Let's just say the movie stars Rue McClanahan as a stripper! Enough said on that plot. It's available thru netflix. :)

Liz said...

Wow, I think my eyes just bled a little at the thought of Rue McClanahan as a stripper. It sounds hilarious. I'll definitely check it out.