Thursday, March 26, 2009

Odds and Ends: Strunk and White, an STG reunion and chastened penguins

+ Did you know that this year marks the 50th anniversary of the publication of "The Elements of Style?" I am officially terrified I didn't punctuate that properly.

+ Set your DVRs now, just to be on the safe side: the "Family Guy" parody of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" will air this Sunday at 9 o'clock on FOX. The whole TNG cast participated and word from the Wheaton is that it's hilarious.

+ This new OnLive thingamabobber sounds cool. Who wouldn't want on-demand, streaming games? Just think, "Kung Fu Panda" at our fingertips!

+ Have you seen this blog? Called Fuck You, Penguin, it's a blog that "tells cute animals what's what." Pictures of cute animals, snarky crankypants-ness -- I kind of love it.

+ IO9 has the trailer for "Where the Wild Things Are." It looks very creepy but in a good way. I think. Maybe. Actually, those things creeped me out when they were two-dimensional on a page so I might have to take a Xanax before seeing them on screen.

+ And finally, because I'm guessing we could all use a little something to perk up our Thursday, here's a video of Franz Ferdinand AND David Tennant from this year's Red Nose Day festivities. David magically appears around the 3 minute mark. Enjoy...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

David's a goofball.

Unknown said...

That is one white suit Mr. Tennant! But oh I needed that today. :)

Unknown said...

In your Elements of Style bullet, italicize the title which is equivalent to quotes. This helps you avoid the question of whether to put the sentence's question mark inside or outside the quotes.

Elimare said...

Was that a Guitar Hero guitar he was 'playing'?

K8 said...

And just for fun, you can get Elements of Style as an audiobook. I'm not sure how useful that is, but at least the option's out there....

Anonymous said...

The man who introduces them is from the best geek show ever made-"The IT Crowd". He plays the hidden- away Goth former exec, Richmond.

agent57 said...

K8 - Do they have to describe the punctuation? "When using a question mark, which is one of those curvy sort of things, kind of like a p but not closed on the left side, right? And with a dot under it. Anyway, when using a..." :D

The Modern Gal said...

Can you imagine Where the Wild Things Are in 3D?

Anonymous said...

David Tennant is one of the few men on earth who can wear a pinstriped white suit with a red tie and red shoes/socks and not look like a complete buffoon. It's that long, thin body. Everything looks good on him.

I loves me some Strunk & White. I still have my paperback copy of the third edition (purchased for $2.95 in either 1984 or 1985), and I still refer to it, especially when arguing with someone over the finer points of usage. : )

agent57 said...

Also, I have to admit, the WtWTA trailer made me cry a little.