Thursday, March 05, 2009

Odds and Ends

I've been hording links the way I'd horde pie if I had an invisible body...which is to say, I'd horde A LOT of it. So without further ado...or thoughts of fruit filling...here they are:

+ Have you seen these "creatively" edited versions of Star Trek: The Next Generation episodes? Very funny and I think they have the perhaps unintentional effect of making Jonathan Frakes a better actor, so win-win on that one!

+ Speaking of "Next Generation," I'm really looking forward to the cast reunion on "Family Guy" coming up on March 29. New details on the episode were released today:

In the episode titled “Not All Dogs Go to Heaven,” the "Next Gen" crew (Patrick Stewart, Levar Burton, Gates McFadden, Michael Dorn, Wil Wheaton, Denise Crosby, Marina Sirtis, Brent Spiner and Jonathan Frakes) will provide guest voices as the Griffin family heads to the annual Quahog “Trek” convention.

"Stewie blows a fuse when he doesn’t get a chance to ask his favorite ‘Star Trek: The Next Generation’ cast members any questions," reads the logline. "He devises a plan, builds a transporter and beams the entire cast to his bedroom so they can spend a fun-filled day together in Quahog.

Wil Wheaton talks a bit about it on his blog here.

+ Did you hear that a giant asteroid almost annihilated the planet on Monday (of course it was a Monday)? Yeah, I can't decide whether I should feel good about this (hey, we survived!) or bad about this (holy shit, it could have hit before I saw the end of BSG!).

+ Speaking of annihilation, Oklahoma chose a song about how everyone dies as their official state rock song. Yup, Oklahoma got cool and emo by choosing The Flaming Lips' "Do You Realize?" Now they should build a giant pink robot and put it next to the Oklahoma sign so all the musical theater fans who stop and take pictures in front of it will be thoroughly confused...and hopefully a little bit scared.

+ This has been kind of a depressing post. Let's turn this ship around, think happy thoughts and look at Jamie Bamber's contribution to animal rights:

I officially forgive PETA for trying to get the world to call fish "sea kittens."

+ The debut date for the upcoming Spider-Man musical, with music by U2, was announced last week. Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark will hit the stage in February 2010. Half of me thinks this is intriguing (the half that likes U2) while the other half of me just kind of wishes comic books would go away so people could produce original stories again...but that's just me being cranky.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That article about the astroid is terrifying.

Michele said...

Jamie Bamber is new to me but HELLLOOOO Nekkid Jamie! Rawr!

Anonymous said...

I see something about a giant astroid on the NY Times site and immediately think, "There's gotta be a comment over on The Park Bench about THIS..."

Tace said...

The reedited St:TNG has had me snickering and snorting for the last half hour. It's soooo brilliant, thanks for sharing the link!
Long time listener, first time caller, er, reader/poster. :)

Liz said...

Michelle, you cracked me up about the asteroid -- you know me so well! :)

Welcome, Tace! Glad you liked the Star Trek videos. They had me giggling for quite a while last night.

Anonymous said...

Re: Jamie Bamber and forgiving PETA

So say we all.

Amy said...

Agreed with anonymous. I'm having a rough morning, but it's so much better with a naked Jamie Bamber on my computer screen!