Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Odds and Ends: Take the TNGers bowling, randy sea monkeys and beautiful libraries

+ In case you missed the "Family Guy/Star Trek: The Next Generation" cast reunion the other night, it's up at Hulu. And even if you did see it, it's certainly worth another viewing. Their trip through the McDonald's drive-thru made me laugh so hard I cried:



+ Did you know that Sea Monkeys are amped-up sex maniacs? Or that Play-Doh was originally designed to get coal dust off walls? Mental Floss has a cool run-down of How Ten Classic Toys Were Invented.

+ An intriguing blog called Curious Expeditions has a wonderful post called Librophiliac Love Letter: A Compendium of Beautiful Libraries. In a complete clash of pop culture references, I can't help but quote Liz Lemon and say, "I want to go to there," when I see the Bibliotheque Nationale de France in Paris:

+ Did you know that Lucy Lawless is reteaming with "Xena" creators Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert for a new, as Variety calls it, "fantasy-fighting series" called "Spartacus: Blood and Sand." It's set to debut on Starz in January 2010. I'm guessing Ted Raimi will get clubbed by uncouth marauders by episode two.

+ And finally, very sad news: Andy Hallett, best known as the otherwordly green lounge singer Lorne on "Angel," has passed away at the age of 33 from heart failure.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andy was unforgettable as Lorne and it's a tragedy that such a promising young man has been lost at the age of 33. I'm watching the last episode of Angel today in his honour.

Unknown said...

This is so sad! I loved Lorne. Andy was a fantastic actor and musician.

Ally said...

Oh! I had no idea Andy Hallett passed away. How sad! He did such a fantastic job on Angel. He was so talented....

The Modern Gal said...

I may or may not have shed a few tears in looking at those library photos. It's good to see proper respect of the written word.