Monday, March 03, 2008

News of the Day -- Monday, March 3

You know why whales are cool? Because they can do this:


That's a photo snapped by a couple out kayaking who accidentally stumbled onto a pod of humpback whales. Their photos at The Mail are gorgeous and really capture the mammoth size of these beautiful creatures...who may or may not have been trying to kill them for getting too close to their young but that's neither here nor there.

+ Looking for a little existentially depressing humor? Then check out Garfield Minus Garfield, a series of Garfield cartoons minus, well, Garfield. Jon seems very, very lonely -- after all, what is mankind without its feline?

+ And finally, wow, if you're a tardy book reader, don't fuck with Wisconsin. (Do I smell a new license plate slogan?) A woman was recently arrested for unpaid library fines and spent six days in prison for it. And no, she was not allowed a selection from the mobile book cart.

2 comments:

Black Eyed Gurl said...

As a Wisconsinite I have to say, "Sho 'nuff" Don't fuck with our libraries, they mean business! Although at most of them if your fine is more than the cost of the book, you just pay to replace the book. This chick got what was coming to her, whether she liked it or not. I eman you can rent Serenity from the library, how sad would you be if it never came back?

Also: I love your 20 questions. BTW: Cheerleaders do turn on each other. I was one (I know, it is my shame) and those bitches can be CRUEL! Seriously, you have no idea. They make the SS start to look like carebears...

Liz said...

I owe some serious library book fines and am now frightened. I thought the guilt-inducing letters they sent me were bad, but this is scary!

And thank you for sharing the cheerleader scoop. Someone's going to get smart one day and recruit them into the military although I suspect the uniforms will have to change. :)