Monday, March 31, 2008

News of the Day -- Monday, March 31

+ Not to be outdone by the Kitties-For-Hire from Friday, The New York Times reports that New Yorkers are now renting dogs. These rent-a-pet things are great and all, but I'll give 50 bucks to the first company that can rent me a life, a successful career and a ten pound weight loss with a boast of self-confidence thrown in as an introductory gift. Anybody?

+ The New York Times also had a great essay yesterday on how books affect our dating lives. Can't bear to be with a man who's down on Jane Austen or has never heard of Jules Verne? We are not alone, my friends.

+ And finally, Popular Mechanics has this fascinating look at the 10 Most Prophetic Sci-Fi Movies Ever Made. Basically, it's all the movies where future predictions came true. I panicked when I saw "Soylent Green" on the list but thankfully, it wasn't on there for the whole cannibalism thing. Phew. I'm already reluctant to eat McNuggets. I couldn't bear to worry about that stuff.

4 comments:

Liz said...

Good finds today. I'm poaching them (at least the last 2) for my book club's blog - first-thefood.blogspot.com. Thanks!

Liz said...

I loved that books-and-dating essay, too--I've totally done that. Or, what am I saying? I totally DO that. (Though talking smack about John Irving seems uncalled-for.)

Kirstin said...

I was trying not to laugh while reading that essay as I know how often I do that.
I shall judge you by what you read and whether you can pronounce the author's name.

Anjuli said...

That sci-fi movie list and analysis is awesome! It's so in-depth and totally fascinating. Makes me want to watch present-day sci-fi movies with a little closer attention...