Wednesday, March 19, 2008

News of the Day -- Wednesday, March 19

+ Oh man, I can't even begin to express how excited I am about this news: Joss Whedon has written and is directing a short musical for the web starring Nathan Fillion and Neil Patrick Harris. Joss describes it as "the story of a low-rent super-villain, the hero who keeps beating him up, and the cute girl from the laundromat he's too shy to talk to." Color me enthused. Overly enthused, in fact. It's kind of scary.

+ Did you see this cool duck billed dinosaur that still has its skin and tissue? I'm looking forward to seeing the dino, named Dakota, fully unearthed. If it turns out to have a tramp stamp over its tail, we'll know its last days were spent getting drunk and hanging out at the mall. And if it has the remains of a Slushie in its stomach, we'll know it was a pretty crappy mall.

+ In sad news, legendary sci-fi author and futurist Arthur C. Clarke passed away at the age of 90 yesterday. I have no joke for this.

+ Ever wondered how a falling gecko rights itself to land on its feet? Me either, but the BBC has an interesting article on how geckos use their tails to acrobatically save themselves during falls. Watch the video through to the end for the super slo-mo money shot, if you will. Also, if you listen carefully, you can hear the gecko shouting in a quaint British accent, "I hope those exploitive Geico bastards cover my ass on this ooooooonnnneeee...."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having not seen Firefly, I have zero clue if Nathan Fillion can sing, but if this webmusical of Joss' ever sees the light of day, I am SO THERE.

Chewbob said...

Re: The Joss Whedon musical:

You're trying to seduce me, aren't you?