Thursday, April 10, 2008

My friends all live in a box. Is that weird?

Remember when you were little and at the end of the summer, all your friends would come back from camp and you were so elated to see them? Remember how that was pretty much the best day of the year? That’s how I feel right now about the return of “30 Rock” and “The Office” tonight because – yes, I will admit it – good television is my friend and it has been away for far too long. And it didn’t write to me even once despite promises and friendship bracelet exchanges before it got on the bus. What a bunch of jerks.

This must be how sports fans feel about the Superbowl or the NCAA Tournaments. It’s a great sense of anticipation – you don’t know yet if the game is going to suck, but you know that at the very least, you’re going to see all your favorite players. And maybe win a grand in the office pool. Which is totally something we should start for regular TV shows. (“What’s the over-under on how many times Michael says, ‘That’s what she said.’”)

Are you all as geeked as I am? Can “MILF Island” possibly be as funny as it is in my head? Will I still want to be Liz Lemon when I grow up? Will Alec Baldwin’s voice still be sultry? Will it be as tantalizingly difficult to watch Michael Scott humiliate himself as it’s always been? Will Toby ever get Pam? Will I ever grow up enough not to care this much about television?

The answer to that last one is no. Everything else? Totally up in the air. And really, that’s the fun of it.

3 comments:

Letishue said...

You are not alone, good tv is my friend as well and I'm psyched to have it back! I've missed Dwight, Pam, Jim, Liz, Jack and Kenneth far too much. Now if only Lost would return I could be perfectly happy. Happy Thursday!

Dana Detrick-Clark from Serious Vanity Music said...

I'm catching myself counting hours until airtime. And I'm already disappointed that I snuck a peek at "The Office"'s cold open at nbc.com, because I just couldn't wait until Christmas morning. So yes, I'm with you here.

Anonymous said...

I've been announcing to my loved ones all week, "THE OFFICE IS ON THIS THURSDAY!" and I got excited, too. I couldn't wait to see Dwight, Jim, Pam, Michael, Creed... but no Creed. I feel a bit shortchanged!