Wednesday, April 02, 2008

News of the Day -- Wednesday, April 2

+ Check out these adorable little hand-knit Star Wars dolls made and designed by the good people of Geek Central Station. They're so cool -- there's even a little Admiral Ackbar sitting pretty there on the left.



+ Oh my God, I'm a huge dorky nerd and even I think this is stupid: Congress hosted a hearing on...and in...Second Life. Here's Senator Ed Markey's avatar:


No wait, this is his avatar:



Sorry, sometimes three-dimensionality is hard to detect with congressmen.

+ Apparently, a woman's been arrested for stalking John Cusack. I almost didn't want to read the article because I knew I'd be disappointed if she hadn't -- at least once -- held a boombox over her head playing "In Your Eyes" in his front yard before the squad cars hauled her away. Imagine my surprise then when I spied something even better with this line: "...Cusack accused Leatherman of throwing over his fence a bag containing love letters, rocks and screwdrivers." WTF? I thought it was creepy when my cat brought me dead mice as a love offering, but rocks and screwdrivers? That's really weird. Maybe the woman's a Dadaist?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the STAR WARS dolls are crocheted, rather than knit.

And yes, there are some knitters and crocheters that would grumble about the difference...

Chewbob said...

Perhaps the rocks and screwdrivers were a way to weight the bag so that the love letters did not fly away?

Liz said...

Thanks for the clarification, Queen. I knew I was going to get that one wrong but I figured I had a 50-50 chance! They sure are cute little dolls...

Liz said...

Jessica, I never thought about weighing down the bag. That makes sense. I was thinking maybe she was going to scale the fence, build a rock garden for him, fix his sink maybe with the screwdrivers and then just leave the letters, but I'm thinking yours is the more likely scenario.

The Modern Gal said...

Where's the crocheted R2D2 and C3P0?

archiesgirl said...

Ha, I was going to comment that the dolls were crocheted too!

Knit vs crochet is like Unix vs Windows in some fiber arts communities.

Chewbob said...

I second (third?) the knit/crochet thing!

And also, Liz, I think your sink-fixing scenario is a little more interesting! I feel compelled to throw bags of random objects into other people's yards. Whether they are famous or not.